The Peel Sessions, etc.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

vvv
zen recordist

The Peel Sessions, etc.

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:14 pm

I totally love these, along with The King Biscuit stuff, altho' that's mostly older 70's type acts (at least what I have, from Thin Lizzy, Trower, altho' The Waitresses and Iggy, etc.) and the BBC stuff, also (Hendrix to Zeo to Bowie to Psych Furs, etc.) and Radio One (Henddix again, The Psych Furs, BeBop Deluxe).

But damn, the Peel CD's are terrific, nicely raw but still well produced, sorta live, but with crucial overdubs. The Chameleons, JAMC, T, Joy Division, Dino,Jr., Thin Lizzy again, Nebula - all excellent performances and sound.

I actually reference the Chameleons' Peel Sessions.

And I just picked up the Magazine Peel disc, and while that band was a bit of a acquired taste, I'm diggin' the flava.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Beat Poet
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beat Poet » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:06 am

Yeah it's sad that bands don't seem to do live sessions for radio anymore, Peel or otherwise. Live sessions for video on AOL and the like are fine, but there isn't so much of an emphasis on the audio quality or performances, maybe because the bands are concious of the cameras.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:32 am

Beat Poet wrote:Yeah it's sad that bands don't seem to do live sessions for radio anymore, Peel or otherwise. Live sessions for video on AOL and the like are fine, but there isn't so much of an emphasis on the audio quality or performances, maybe because the bands are concious of the cameras.
Maybe not the bands you're looking for, but quite a few bands have and continue to do live performances on the NPR tiny desk concerts.
I love em.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:02 am

The drum sounds on the Pink Floyd Paris Theater sessions are insane...
Some of the best drums on tape, period.... :shock:
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:12 am

Beat Poet wrote:Yeah it's sad that bands don't seem to do live sessions for radio anymore, Peel or otherwise. Live sessions for video on AOL and the like are fine, but there isn't so much of an emphasis on the audio quality or performances, maybe because the bands are concious of the cameras.
There are still plenty of live radio session opportunities across the BBC - Radio 1, Radio 2, Radio 4 and 6 Music all have slots for live bands, as do many of the BBC regional stations with the 'BBC Introducing' slots. Even the commercial stations still do the odd live session (although mostly featuring established acts, and often recorded at venues rather than studios)

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:10 pm

John Peel pics, vid, session info, record collection etc here..
John Peel Arts Council England site

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:36 pm

<3. Who else would put Anaal Nathrakh or Masonna live on national radio?

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:52 pm

Beat Poet wrote:Yeah it's sad that bands don't seem to do live sessions for radio anymore, Peel or otherwise.
I do live sessions nearly every week on WFMU.

The skill of the volunteer broadcast engineers at the station varies, and the soundchecks and setups are usually super-brief -- so even the best shows don't have mind-blowing sound -- but occasionally they're pretty darn good, and I'm very glad that this kind of thing still exists.

Some day I may pitch them on the idea of doing a show that's more like Peel, with even more care taken in capturing the live performances. But whatever way it's done, I think this angle offers something that a Bandcamp page doesn't: Fans can actually tell if the band is going to be any good in concert based on a well-mixed live-to 2-track performance.

Oh yeah: and don't forget Soundcheck on WNYC. Irene Trudel engineers live music for John Schaefer there just about every day now that they're back on the air for the fall season. And from what I hear, they have a mission to up the production values even further.

An occasional poster here also has a video web show and podcast called "aux send" where he has local bands over to his studio to play live sets. What I've heard there has been surprisingly good.

Oh, and I've done a few sessions for BreakThru radio as well. The one I did for General Miggs with a quick soundcheck sounded better than most of their recorded material, I think.

So yeah: There's still a lot of this. Check WFMU, WNYC's Soundcheck, KEXP, Aux Send, Breakthru Radio, and a whole bunch of others.

Almost everything we ever wished would exist actually exist these days. Now get looking, get excited about it, and help others make an honest living doing it! Even if you see them as "the competition," it will probably pay off for you in the end as well. A rising tide raises all ships.