Never see the End Product These Days?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:50 am

Brett Siler wrote: I have a copy of the music anyway.
Pirate!
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:31 am

I haven't noticed it getting any worse in recent years. Seems like it's always been like that. My best, most together clients always make sure I get a handful of discs. The space cadets are always gonna be the space cadets.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

smtimecharlie
audio school graduate

Post by smtimecharlie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:46 pm

As a musician (I'm the self-financed type that was mentioned previously), there's a certain insecurity factor here too. If a studio just said that you'd like to have a copy as a "just in case" reference for other bands or projects, I'd send one in a second. Wrap it in a compliment, not a business-y sort of statement, I bet that would work well. Someone that just recorded an album, after all, wants most of all to know that people might listen to it and will appreciate it! :D

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:54 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
Brett Siler wrote: I have a copy of the music anyway.
Pirate!
HA! Is it still pirating when the only copy you have is the CD-R of the finial mixes you did?... or session files?..

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:44 pm

It's only piracy if they are mastered. Ha ha.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:36 am

I get finished CDs less than a few years ago...
but on the other end, I have copied unreleased CDs for fans that I was talking to who desperately wanted the songs... for example when the band has split up and wouldn't talk to each other anymore and the website is down.

Chris Graham Mastering
pluggin' in mics

yep

Post by Chris Graham Mastering » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:20 am

My experience too Larry, I'd estimate I get a copy less than 1% of the time. : (
If it's a local project, that number is maybe 2% ; (
Music Mastering Engineer Chris Graham
Get A Portion Of Your Song Mastered For Free At
http://www.ChrisGrahamMastering.com

Theo_Karon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Theo_Karon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:30 pm

Yeah. Usually I don't really care, but typically when I end up getting extremely invested in a project in an apparent way (i.e. putting in extra hours, continue going to as many of the band's shows as I can make after the record is done, etc) this gets noticed and I end up with a copy of the record. First real bummer in that regard came about a week ago, oddly enough- I was looking at the blog of a very talented artist and one-time good friend with whom I'd spent two months playing on, sometimes co-writing, recording and mixing a record this past winter, which I ended up putting a ton of free work into because I could see how awesome it could be and I wanted it to be that awesome, only to find that the damn thing has been in print for a month!

I briefly entertained the notion of calling the artist up and saying "Hey! What about me? Where's my record?" but quickly realized there was probably no delicate way to go about doing this, so instead just shelled out 30 bucks for the damn thing on the label's mail-order site... well, I'll be glad to have a copy, at least. White vinyl!
Everything is going to be OK.

https://www.theokaron.com/

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:11 am

If I take my curmudgeonly butt back to NYC, 1988 which is when I got to record and mix live for higher end stuff REGULARLY (12 bands a day), I noticed that more hollywood people were getting into the mix of record labels as artists and managers. A bad thing to be sure.
Hollywood stars sing VERY breathy, and it was a telltale sign that the act was more actor than musical artist, = short term career. Hollywood types don?t give you final copies. I don?t know why. They think of the music biz as a stepping stone for their acting career, if hey can just get that light to shine on them for a second, they can get a movie deal. It?s not every one of them, some go the other way, but, I saw the behind the scenes everyday high volume stuff, and it went like that most of the time.
I could see that becoming part of the zeitgeist of the industry after a while.
I?ve lost a TON of stuff, some of which is very noteworthy (I found out this year) due to this.
Sometimes I get them decades later.
Harumph!