Give me a reality-check on a live PA gig...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:08 pm

I wouldn't read too much into not hearing back in a few days. There's a possibility that he's shopping around, and why wouldn't he? If you were the first call, it only makes sense to make sure your price is correct. There's also the possibility that there is somebody else in the organization who needs to approve the cost. And neither of those possibilities take into account plain old procrastination/flakiness/prioritizing; if the event's in November, he might feel like he has time to put this particular item on the back burner for now.

As far as the price is concerned, I think you're in the right ballpark, assuming that you are a decent, attentive professional. If you're the guy who shows up for a worship gig in a Molly Hatchet t-shirt, then alternates between smoke breaks and keeping up with your active Facebook life - all while missing cues and looking apathetic - then maybe the price is too high.

In the end, only you know what price is right. It's the amount at which you won't regret taking the gig, and the client/customer feels like they're still getting a good deal.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:27 pm

How did you know about that? I got rid of that Molly Hatchett t-shirt last week!

GJ

("ah-Fler'tna wid-a Deez-assterMose-a eh-ver-ee Day-a...")

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote:If you're the guy who shows up for a worship gig in a Molly Hatchet t-shirt, then alternates between smoke breaks and keeping up with your active Facebook life - all while missing cues and looking apathetic - then maybe the price is too high.
Man, I heard a great story years ago about a local dude hired for a PA gig at a black tie event. He showed up for the gig with a black T-shirt that said, "Yngwie who?" on the front and on the back it said, "Yngwie Fucking Malmsteen, That's Who!"

Classy.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:44 am

But did he have the requisite tie?

GJ