what to expect in a smaller mixing room

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

neonaudio
pluggin' in mics

what to expect in a smaller mixing room

Post by neonaudio » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:25 pm

As per a previous post, my wife and I are home shopping, and any potential home will have one room dedicated as my mixing studio (usually this means one of the bedrooms). We've found a new option that is enticing for a lot reasons, but it's on the small side, mostly in the bedrooms. Here are the dimensions, all with 8' ceilings:

Bedroom 1 - 11'x12'7"
Bedroom 2 - 11'x12'2"
Bedroom 3 - 10'11"x11'8"

My current room is 13'3"x13'7" with an 8'3" ceiling. So any of these rooms would be a downgrade in space. I can live with that as long as it won't horribly affect the sound. Based on a room mode calculator, all of these rooms would be similar if not better than my current space (surprisingly the smallest room has the best result with the mode calc). So I'm hoping to hear from others working in similar spaces... what's been your experience? Should I trust the mode calculator and take the smallest room to minimize problems?

GIK Acoustics
pluggin' in mics

Post by GIK Acoustics » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:18 pm

While room mode calculators are great for determining what measurements can show in rooms, I wouldn't base my decision on a room with that. Also, even though it comes up looking better than your current space (since it is almost a square), any of the new rooms will likely be worse due to such small dimensions. I would say get the largest one you can, and even then that is very small for a control or recording room. No matter which option you chose, you will need lots of bass trapping. Go with the option that is easiest to treat or the largest, IMO.
Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA | (770) 986 2789
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

neonaudio
pluggin' in mics

Post by neonaudio » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Easiest to treat is a good line of thinking. Any of these will certainly need a lot of treatment.

I realize these are small rooms and not ideal for mixing, but my current room is not exactly ideal, either (same low ceilings, almost a square). I have been able to make it work with a combination of treatment and just learning the room. So I guess my biggest question is: can I make one of these rooms into a reliable mixing space?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:33 am

with enough treatment you can. but go with the biggest room you have. space fills up quick once you have gear and bodies in there.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:28 pm

Those are all small rooms, and will need a lot of bass trapping....

Make sure you set it up correctly: http://realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

Make sure you absorb early reflections: http://realtraps.com/rfz.htm

The rear wall will also be close to you and will therefore need some attention: http://realtraps.com/art_rear_wall.htm

All those rooms will be pretty close so there won't be a huge difference between them. Go with whichever room allows you the best ergonomic setup, and allows you to place acoustic panels where they need to go (bass traps in corners, absorbers at early reflection points, etc).

neonaudio
pluggin' in mics

Post by neonaudio » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:01 am

Thanks guys, this all very helpful. I think you are all correct in going for the biggest room, and of course trapping the hell out of it.