so, I'm treating 2 small rooms... trying to!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

werdna yelworc
audio school

so, I'm treating 2 small rooms... trying to!

Post by werdna yelworc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:14 pm

I'm treating 2 rooms, very small.... i have some basic concerns and would appreciate some input. I can post photos if that would help.

room 1; very small , houses a larger size console, mainly a tracking/summing room not so much for mix.....

Height = 9'10"
Width( From Back of Console To The wall with the window)= 8'10"
Length=13'9"

The Console

Length= 10'8"
Height =3'10"
Depth=4'4"

Abut the walls within that room ;
-i'm "softening " the wall behind the console( that 2" minimum is appropriate always) and I'm told that even a couple of owens corning 2" 4X2 panels would greatly help.
-What percentage of the sides should we soften 100% ? Is there are method to figuring this out? On the left side it's a solid wall from the corner to 5ft back, on the right side , we have a window and want something movable there. I understand "the why" on the sides but uncertain of the % coverage
-were putting a diffusor behind ..... 4X4(?) I believe. on that same wall as the window , a big one , not sure what to do about it
-I'm thinking no bass traps though since were also putting a cloud up and since the room is so small maybe at that point bass traps would be overkill?
-We're putting clouds in both rooms, again think about gouing with 2" OC703s , 2X4 panels , 3 in each room , at an angle?, in some sort of triangular formation or a large rectangle? thoughts? how far down to hang them?

=========================================================================================================================

Here's the dimensions of dedicated mixing room

11'4" =Wide
16'6'= Depth
9'11"= Height
38"= 2 angled windows
12"= odd mini angled wall by one window
7'7"= wall space between 2 windows

And there's a 2X4 closet in the corner!!

Basically , same program here , right?

Big thanks!

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:44 am

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:55 am

Small rooms can be good. But you will most greatly benefit from treating the corners and targeting the lowest frequencies you can. To that end I would strongly recommend helmhotz absorbers. Combining the helmhotz model into a corner is an extremely effective way to suck up low end gunk.