Alright, can we revisit this AlbumCredits.com thing?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Alright, can we revisit this AlbumCredits.com thing?

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:48 pm

So, is anyone paying for the "premium" service? Is it worth it? Has it been helpful to you at all?

I'm only listed on one AMG page (and thusly one at AlbumCredits.com), but I've got a lot more work out there with indie projects over the years, that I wouldn't mind having documented, and I might like to apply as a voting member of the Academy someday (I've got enough credits now, as far as I know, but if they were all in one place, I wouldn't need a ton of documentation for a bunch of releases that are more "out of print" than "in").

Anyone have anything positive to say about the site? I seem to remember someone saying that once your membership expires, they take down all of your corrected info????

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:06 pm

Bump.

Really? Nobody has anything to say about the site, yea or nay?

GJ

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:12 pm

Meh. The facts are still the facts. Decent idea for a site. I don't mind that there's a fee. But unless things have changed, the fine print makes it too lame to participate.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:54 pm

Agreed. When someone finally makes it easy and reasonable, I'll deal with it. 'Til then, I just have to make apologies for the fact that these "resources" are incredibly inaccurate.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:58 pm

I paid for the service and spent a lot of time adding things that weren't listed. I thought it would be a good way to keep track of the stuff I've worked on and what not. But on September 26th I got this e-mail from them:

Dear Roy,

I am writing to let you know that effective September 30, 2012 www.albumcredits.com will be shutting down.

Unfortunately, there are not enough people like you who are willing to pay to have their discography correctly represented online.

As an annual subscriber, Album Credits will be refunding your PayPal account a pro-rated amount from September 30, 2012.

We appreciate your support.

Sincerely,

ALBUM CREDITS

-------------

But for some reason the site is still up!

Who knows... but based on that e-mail, I think it's on its way out and it was a waste of money. :-(

For now, I'll keep pointing to it in my signature, though! :-)

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:50 pm

I've seen the reply same as Roy's above that AlbumCredits was going to cease and was surprised to see it still up and running.

Sterling Sound I think runs it and gets their data from AllMusic.

Would be interested to find out if the updates to Albumcredit then refers back and updates Allmusic.. I doubt it.

I don't pay much attention but was thinking about supplying info to clients about how to submit their cd to AllMusic, which is I think is just to mail them a final cd.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:15 pm

Well, I used to write for AllMusic back in the day (one of the few gigs that I frittered away like a foolio), and it wasn't as easy to get an indie album listed; they didn't want things up that weren't going to get a pretty quick review. But now, it seems like things get posted pretty quickly, and then languish away for quite awhile with no review or bio information added (like, years), so you might be right about the current process; idk...

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:18 pm

Interesting about AC.com, there is no contact info or site map, so without trying to start a new account, there's no way to actually ask anyone there whether they are remaining "open" or are going to "close."

Ah, the "Digital Age." Who needs an office or a telephone?

GJ

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:26 am

Forget about paying to use it, nobody wants to spend the money to run a service like that when they're competing with the likes of wikipedia. It's hard to fight free.

If you want to keep a good, readily available log of your own work make your own website and keep it updated. Then throw up a link on wiki. Nobody will be able to miss it. Gotta work on that myself btw....

TonyBrooke
audio school

Post by TonyBrooke » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:58 pm

For a free, comprehensive, growing, and user-editable database of credits, check out musicbrainz.org.
http://musicbrainz.org/

Users have been adding credits there for over a decade, and it has grown steadily (over 850,000 artists so far):
http://musicbrainz.org/statistics/timeline/main

More and more services are using MusicBrainz so it's also a good idea to get an editor account and update your own credits there.
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Beginners_Guide
Tony Brooke
Silent Way Media Asset Management
San Francisco
http://www.silentway.com/assets