Don Caballero 2 hi-hat

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Don Caballero 2 hi-hat

Post by Magnetic Services » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Recently got a vinyl copy of this record and the hi-hat (and ONLY the hi-hat) sounds harsh, distorted, and just too present in the mix. I listened back to my digital copy and it seems to be the same, I guess it just never bothered me before. Is anybody else familiar with this record and does this bother you as well? Could it maybe just be the vinyl mastering engineer's choice to boost this certain band in the midrange? This is the only record this happens on so I'm fairly sure it's not my stereo equipment.

Also, for those not familiar with the album: do you ever close-mic hi-hat? I never do. I've just never been in a situation where I thought "gee, I need more of this instrument that's being smashed constantly"

For those VERY familiar, could you give any deets about the recording process? The sleeve says nothing about anything. I know steve albini recorded at least one of their albums, but I think it was later in their history.
Last edited by Magnetic Services on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Not familiar with it but I'll have to look it up; sounds like an interesting conundrum. If the CD/digital copy is the same, I doubt it's the vinyl mastering engineer's fault...

As to close miking hi-hat-- always. It's easy to take some out, or even mute. Hard to put more in if you haven't miked/recorded it. The "I never mike hi-hat" comments I see are often from people that record rock bands with bashers slanging the edge of the hats with them an inch open using ball-peen hammer handles as drumsticks and picking the batter arm up over their heads between each quarter-note beat. I'm not sure about your situation, but if I was tracking one of those guys, I'd probably turn the hat mike off as well.

GJ

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:16 pm

Yeah, I referred back to the digital copy and it's the same mix. I just didn't notice it as much before, I suppose. It'd be awesome to see some pictures of the setup. I've read interviews with the drummer where he mentions miking the underside of cymbal bells, squeaky kick pedals, second snare drum, etc.

As for miking hats... I should mention that I only have eight tracks to work with, so it's never a priority. Also, most of the drummers I've recorded have been pretty good about balance so I've been fortunate in that regard.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:43 pm

I saw don cabellaro a long while back...drummer was an arrogant jerk. it was a show at a record store and he blew fire at the end of the set and started a magazine rack on fire. he didn't even apologize...he just asked for the money and bolted.

that being said...when he hit the cymbals super hard and the drums were just piercingly loud. that might be part of the problem. maybe he was hitting em so hard the picked up on several mics and the frequency built up. then during mixing, maybe when they tried to cut the build up out, but they lost too much tone in the overall drum sound so they just kept it.

or maybe they've never herd of a de-esser?

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:21 pm

I've heard pretty much the same about him. Cocaine and extreme skill tend to do that to people. I've been told he bailed on a tour with some other band... and took their van with him. All hearsay, of course, but these stories don't come out of nowhere.

Also I think that my needle pressure and anti-skating settings may be exacerbating it, as I've since noticed vocal sibilance in the same range on other records.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:50 pm

you know...I heard Bowie's moonage daydream today on XM. by george, the broadcast compression exentuated the hit hat so much it had a bit of an ice pick in the ear feeling. on the LP it's present, but sounds A-ok.

...not that it really relates to the OP's issue.

Justin Foley
takin' a dinner break

Post by Justin Foley » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:30 am

DC2 was recorded at White Room studios in Detroit. Just checked my vinyl copy - says that it was recorded by Al Sutton.

IIRC, that is actually Damon Che sawing the drums in half a the end of ... whichever song sounds like someone is sawing the drums in half.

Musically, that's my favorite record of theirs. I'll haven't listened to it in a while - when I do I'll make a point not to listen to the hi-hat if it's likely to irritate me.

I don't ever mic the hi hat, but I'm also usually working with loud rock bands. Albini has complained about the persistence of the hh over on the Electrical board. If you search through some of his posts over there, you'll find some solace.

= Justin