New My Bloody Valentine album out now

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

New My Bloody Valentine album out now

Post by iamthecosmos » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:05 am

Just handed over money as fast as humanly possible. Vinyl & 96k/24bit wav for me.

So incredibly excited, though kind of scared to listen in case it's rubbish.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:49 am

It's not rubbish. The soundscapes are great. I don't hear much of the same kinds of hooks that really got me into Loveless. You can demo the whole thing on YouTube if you want.

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:32 pm

GooberNumber9 wrote:It's not rubbish. The soundscapes are great. I don't hear much of the same kinds of hooks that really got me into Loveless. You can demo the whole thing on YouTube if you want.
I don't need to, like I said I bought the super high quality wav + vinyl version.

I'm a massive fan of MBV, especially from You Made Me Realise onwards. I think the new record is great. mbv couldn't be Loveless, very few records in the history of music could, but it's a damn fine My Bloody Valentine record. The last track is my favourite at the moment.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:58 am

It's an excellent record. Well worth the wait! Kind of surprising that there's not much interest on the TOMB.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:14 am

wish i could agree. i bought the 96/24 and was ready to love it, but ZZZZZZZZ. it's just not that engaging. the drums are super lame. oh well. i do love how Not Loud it is though, so there's that.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:46 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:wish i could agree. i bought the 96/24 and was ready to love it, but ZZZZZZZZ. it's just not that engaging. the drums are super lame. oh well. i do love how Not Loud it is though, so there's that.
so far I agree. I've only heard two tracks, but I didn't like either. Along with the drums sounding terrible and having no energy at all, the guitar sound on one track sounded like a bad 90's DOD "grunge-a-fier" straight into a DI, and the vox didn't even sit in the mix. I felt like they were doing things bad on purpose.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:53 am

There are 3 or 4 tracks on there that I think are some of the best stuff they've ever done. I like that it isn't a masterpiece. If there is anybody that needs to get over the Brian Wilson syndrome it's Kevin Shields. The world needs him to just fucking make more music and stop worrying if every record he makes is a bigger "work of genius" than the previous one.

Harmonically, it's a lot more complex than a lot of their previous work, the chord changes and that melody that just seems to hover in the cracks on "If I Am" nearly brought me to fucking tears. Love it. I think he's been listening to a lot of music in the last 20 years and it shows. Not so keen on the crazy jungle/drum n bass stuff towards the end, it's interesting in a very MBV way but it sounds like it should have been released on an EP sometime around 1998. Would have been great then.

Whatever, I'm just happy they've stopped Loveless from being the perennial millstone around their musical necks. And in this most ordinary, most banal of musical times, it's nice to have something so fucking extraordinary once in a fucking while. There, rant over.