foam baffles around cymbals?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

Fenris
audio school

foam baffles around cymbals?

Post by Fenris » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:01 pm

I think I saw this in a past issue of TapeOp ... the engineer put semicircular foam baffles around the cymbals, not touching them, to keep the cymbals out of the room mics. Anyone know who the engineer is, or have a photo? I'm trying to devise something similar.

Rosy
ass engineer

Re: foam baffles around cymbals?

Post by Rosy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:01 am

Fenris wrote:I think I saw this in a past issue of TapeOp ... the engineer put semicircular foam baffles around the cymbals, not touching them, to keep the cymbals out of the room mics. Anyone know who the engineer is, or have a photo? I'm trying to devise something similar.
no, but this reminds me of a setup I saw where the engineer lined two rubbermaid trashcan lids with auralex, glued them together, then cut them down the middle. I don't remember how, but it was rigged on a stand and went around 1/2 of the hihat to cut bleed. Basically, about 1/2 of the hihat went inside the lids and the lids were arranged to where the drummer could play the hats, but the lids were helping the snare mic reject the hats. It was a lot less intrusive to play the kit than it sounds.
Last edited by Rosy on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Strangely, a friend of mine brought this exact subject up to me this afternoon. He said Kurt Ballou talked about it in Tape Op at some point. Don't know what issue it was but I suspect Kurt couldn't have been in THAT many editions of the magazine.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:31 am

Google,

"hi-hat baffle"

with the the quote marks.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.