Help! I'm drowning! Spring cleaning / storage ideas?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Help! I'm drowning! Spring cleaning / storage ideas?

Post by kayagum » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:32 pm

My basement is a disaster, and I want to clean up the clutter.

Short of selling off stuff, I'm looking for ideas of how to store gear, especially awkward items like:

* mic stands
* PA speakers and monitors
* instrument cases (guitar, drum, other gear)
* amps

I have a pretty good handle on guitars (wall hangers), rack gear (racks, duh) and mics and cables (bins and wall hooks).

It's not just the storage itself, but also visual clutter.

Anything that worked for you?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Mic stands - fold them down and store them upright in a golf bag or large diameter sonotube.

Cases are what crawlspaces and the weird triangular space under stairs were made for. If that doesn't work try lying them flat and stacking them. Or just get them the hell out of your work space and into the garage or attic or some other space.

Also don't underestimate the power of a good purge.

Now if someone can just help me organize all the organs and keyboards in my basement I'd be all ears.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:59 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:Mic stands - fold them down and store them upright in a golf bag or large diameter sonotube.

Cases are what crawlspaces and the weird triangular space under stairs were made for. If that doesn't work try lying them flat and stacking them. Or just get them the hell out of your work space and into the garage or attic or some other space.

Also don't underestimate the power of a good purge.

Now if someone can just help me organize all the organs and keyboards in my basement I'd be all ears.

Dave- look at these pics :)

http://www.homestudioguru.com/2369/moby ... om-studio/

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:07 pm

I really like the way Moby has done his space.

Yeah they should stop by my house too. Seriously, its getting pretty bad again...I do a purge and more just piles in when I stumble on deals. I've got 20 some keyboards down here, 3 big amps, 2 big organs, several guitars, big mixer, tape machine, etc... I need to make a purge. Maybe after I sample everything.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:19 pm

I love the Moby thing but he's got a bigger design budget than me. My problem isn't really the number of keyboards it's that they're all huge. There's a Hammond chord organ, a 60's Lowrey organ, Yamaha CP70, Farfisa VIP400, RMI Electra-Piano, a Leslie, a bunch of guitars and amps and my recording set-up.
The ridiculous thing is that this isn't even my main space. I moved most of my gear into a commercial studio space last year. This is just my "modest" home studio.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:56 am

From another forum- some ideas:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... tands.html

Given the occasional water in the basement, might go for a trash bin / golf bag setup. Thought I'd forward this along for other ideas....