Ariel Pink live vocal effects...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Goodnight60
audio school

Ariel Pink live vocal effects...

Post by Goodnight60 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:53 am

Anyone on here ever seen Ariel Pink perform live? He's got great some great echo (maybe a little chorus too?) on his voice and you can see him adjusting some kind of mixer or something....anyone know what he might be using? Thanks!

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:00 pm

on stage, each live vocal goes through some roland cube amp with on board effects, like distortion, verb, or chorus, which he messes with all set. then there are some tracks.

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:58 pm

when I mixed him live a couple years ago he had a small powered Mackie PA, one of those all-in-one mixer/power amp models. his voice went through that, with pedals on an aux send. it was powering a set of speakers on stage, and I took various lines out of the thing (post-effects, the way he wanted) to get his vocals to FOH. the rest of the band was mic'ed normally for FOH, independent of his little PA.
get up with it

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:01 pm

also, thinking back on it I seem to recall him using the mixer's built-in effects as well. can't say which one(s) for sure.
get up with it

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:24 am

that's probably what he did a few years ago, but now he tours in a bus with his own monitor engineer and a foh guy. i worked as local crew for them a couple of months ago.