Strange Weather construction blog

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:53 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Marc, are there any parts of the plans that you could share without stepping on your architect/designer's toes? I'm interested in wall cross-sections of that slat on insulation on drywall[?] more than room shape, etc. I mean I'm interested in the overall design, academically, but I can't really do what you did and I have a real need to figure out exactly how I'm gonna build my walls. And what materials went into the walls, exactly.
The plans as intellectual property belong to Wes, but I'm happy to talk about them. We're actually co-authoring an article on the subject right now. I'll be certain to post a link when it's finally finished.
ott0bot wrote:Hey Marc, can you comment on the super-nice gobo's near the piano on the tacking room? did you build those? if, so do you have a material list and some basics. I'm planning on building some for my one room set up and would live some tips.
Tony at Brett Acoustics, who built all the acoustical treatments along with the console frame, credenzas and framed control room built them to Wes's design. There's a ridiculously thick sheet of glass in one of them. They're all two sided, one side is essentially absorption (a couple inches of 703) and the other side is the same thing but covered with a RPG BAD panel, which makes it more a diff-sorber thingy. Basically one side is dead and the other is live-ish. They're awesome.

rkopald
audio school graduate

A little late to the party, great read!

Post by rkopald » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Wow that was a great read of the buildout from start to finish.
That would've shaved a couple of years off of my life!

Beautiful studio! Congratulations.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Re: A little late to the party, great read!

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:03 pm

rkopald wrote:Wow that was a great read of the buildout from start to finish.
That would've shaved a couple of years off of my life!

Beautiful studio! Congratulations.
I'm pretty sure it did. I definitely have some sort of trauma disorder.

It's pretty awesome getting to work here though.