AKAI M8 Tube Microphone Pre Amp

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Mystic Steamship Co.
steve albini likes it

AKAI M8 Tube Microphone Pre Amp

Post by Mystic Steamship Co. » Wed May 08, 2013 12:58 pm

I have 4 of these, and only need 2.

These are well known tube pre amps from a 60's AKAI M8 tube pre. Each has a built in power supply, and can be used as is for an excellent low watt guitar amplifier, tube DI and line amplifier. But, these can also be modified into VERY nice 2 channel tube microphone pre amps.

I've modified two of these with following the instructions here

http://beyondsanityproductions.com/inde ... view&id=13

I made slight modifications to suit my needs, and they're GREAT. I am selling these as they sit, unmodified. But if you want a good 2 channel tube pre and aren't comfortable with high voltage electronics, I'd be happy to modify them into nice 2 channel rack mount pre amps for pretty reasonable money.

$200 each (two available). or $650 (ea) modified as 2 channel mic rack mount mic pre/DI with cinemag/jensen/ or beyer input transformer.

Each unit is recapped, tested and guaranteed.

artfelton
audio school

Akai M8

Post by artfelton » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi

are these still available?

Which input transformer works best for these units in your opinion. Jensen would be my guess?

How many hours of work would I have to put into these to recap and add an input transformer as an experienced tech.

Cheers

Art