mind f***ing the listener article

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

ricercar.record
gettin' sounds

mind f***ing the listener article

Post by ricercar.record » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:44 pm

one of the very first tape op magazines I ever read had this article in it that is still stuck in my head and will never get out... and is one of the many reasons why I love the magazine so much and still read every new issue the day it comes in the mail. It was something to do with the process of mixing and i think how to figure out what you're wanting to achieve with your mixes. Maybe not .... but I do have a faint rememberance of one line that I thought was absolutely brilliant, and it read something like this ...... "our job as audio engineers/mixers is to constantly mind fuck the listener into hearing what we want them to hear". I thought it was in an end rant somewhere but have searched through my magazines and can't for the life of me find it. I NEED to read this article again, If anyone can find out what exact article this is from I will love you for it. thanks.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:58 am

yeah, I seem to remember that line too. Can't remember what issue it was.

Seems like I read something similar in someone's signature around here or I don't know where, but something to the effect of: "All albums have both awesome sounds and shitty sounds. The idea is to highlight the awesome in a way that distracts the listener from the shitty."
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!