Mixing Problems

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CatsEyeRecords
audio school

Mixing Problems

Post by CatsEyeRecords » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:21 am

Hey guys, as the manager of the Scottish band "Jiezuberband", firstly I should ask you to check them out because their fab, but secondly, how is it some bands that just start off can get such clean sounds? If you listen to their debut album "Sound Of The Sun", all I can hear is flawless mixing and expertly placed melodies, does this mean I should just stop now? I've been producing for many years and I can't get anything close to that sound (this isn't spam, I genuinely want to learn if there's any kind of equipment or specific techniques like ADT that would really spice up my mixing?)
Looking for a new band to spice up your day? Jiezuberband is the way! From prog to rock to psychedelic to simply shocking the crowds they perform at!

It's easy, it's fast, and it's at your fingertips!

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Re: Mixing Problems

Post by dfuruta » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:44 am

CatsEyeRecords wrote:how is it some bands that just start off can get such clean sounds?
lots of soap and don't forget to scrub!
If you listen to their debut album "Sound Of The Sun", all I can hear is flawless mixing and expertly placed melodies, does this mean I should just stop now?
most likely!
I've been producing for many years and I can't get anything close to that sound (this isn't spam, I genuinely want to learn if there's any kind of equipment or specific techniques like ADT that would really spice up my mixing?)
it's all in the gear, so max out that credit card and you'll be on your way to spice city!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:28 am

Hi,

Opposite to the funny post from DFuruta.

It is all about the experience of the person mixing the music.

Sure, great equipment helps, because it makes things go faster during the process.

But you still have to know how to get from A, the recorded sounds themselves, to B, the final mix.

Here is one example I made a couple of days ago:

https://www.facebook.com/nicholas.sevil ... 1407580225
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:10 am

Are you their manager, or are you a mix engineer? Never heard of anyone doing both. Perhaps you should pick one.