Help me find a set of speakers for my digi 001!

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
crimsonking
alignin' 24-trk

Help me find a set of speakers for my digi 001!

Post by crimsonking » Mon May 26, 2003 10:30 am

Hey guys. I'm sure that most of you can answer this question very easily...
I'm looking for a moderately priced set of speakers for my G4/Digi 001 setup. I know they sould be shielded & near field, but can they be passive? Any brand favorites to reccomend? I am budget concious, of course. Also, is there a way to make the speaker output from the Digi the native output for other mac audio programs? Can I use some kind of spitter for this task?

Thanks in advance for any advice, & long live Tape OP!

Casey

tubejay
pushin' record

Re: Help me find a set of speakers for my digi 001!

Post by tubejay » Tue May 27, 2003 8:17 am

What kind of budget are you on? For cheaper monitors, I'd go for KRK KROK's, which can be had for $125 to $200 on eBay. They work quite well for rock music, and also for other types of music once you learn how to use them.

You will need an amp to power them though. For that, I'm a big fan of the Hafler transnova amps. Go for a P1000 for about $150 to $200, or jump up for some extra power in the P3000 (which is recommended if you can afford it) for about $250 to $300. I've never heard some of the cheaper stuff coming out from M-Audio, and Behringer, but I'd be surpised if they were very acurate, reliable, and good sounding.

As for your 001 question, you'll need to elaborate on that a bit more...

crimsonking
alignin' 24-trk

Post by crimsonking » Tue May 27, 2003 2:26 pm

I guess I wanted to know if the I/O box of the Digi 001 would possibly act as some kind of amp itself, thereby negating the need for powered speakers. I suppose not. In regards to my other question, the 001 seems to only output to the speakers directly conected to it's I/O... I was trying to find a painless solution to have those speakers become the monitors for other mac audio apps, like Reason. Right now I am only able to hear audio in reason from the G4 Apple speakers, not the (equally crappy) Logitech speakers I have hooked up to the I/O. Is this even slightly understandable?

Thanks again folks,

Casey

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:36 am

Nope. You need a poweramp and passive monitors or powered monitors. The Digi people were probably thinking of those many computer speakers that are powered (like the Logitech).

On the high end of low end, the Yorkville YSM1p monitors are a steal.

I used JBL 4206s forever and they're fine too. Just upgraded to better monitors (Mackie hr824 -- probably out of your pricerange), though and WOW.

Best,
--JES

audiofriction
audio school

Post by audiofriction » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:41 am

You can route all the audio from your computer through the Digi001, of course. i think all you should need to do is select it in the sound control panel. then Reason, etc should output through it.

don't know if you can use them both at once though. PT isn't Rewire compatible yet anyway, so you can't link them together AFAIK. but supposedly the next version of PT will have this (OSX only...)