Concert Photos...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Concert Photos...

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:58 pm

I wasn't sure where this might go, so I'm trying here (it is "Listening to Other Music," after all).

The Wailers and some other cool groups at the Canal in Buffalo...

GJ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98397575@N ... 866756130/
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:50 pm

Damn. Andrew Case is playing guitar and singing? That's a loss behind the kit. I filled in for him at a gig once, halfway through a song till the end of the song, so he could get up and sing. I never noticed if he was any good though because I was too busy trying to get into the groove.

The OCO really needed someone to step up as a front person though.

As I was growing up, trying to be a drummer in Buffalo in the 80's (in the OCO for a time even) he was named "Drummer of the Year" twice and he lived right next door to me. I was living in the shadow of greatness. One of the coolest, nicest dudes ever, though.

(I sure hope that wasn't *Love* Canal that they're referring to.)
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Yeah, Andrew was an awesome drummer. Always winning "Best Original Drummer" awards at the BAMA's...

I only saw him play a few times. I thought he was decently impressive, but I managed a band called Proton Decay for awhile back then, and the drummer for PD was a huge Andrew fan.

Believe me, they're not losing anything with Reggie on drums; he and Rodney lock it down great, and Andrew is a fine singer, front man, and a decent rhythm guitarist. They have needed that for a long time; they had that stint with M'Baye for awhile late 80's/early 90's, but it's really always been a jam band. Now they play arrangements with good vocals and they're tight. They sounded great and totally held their own with Panda.... and The Wailers. Great show.

I learned about Andrew singing lead a few years back when our bands played a gig together at the Buffalo Yacht Club. I said, "Hey, aren't you Andrew Case?!?"

As to the Canal, there are a couple waterside places in Western New York now known for concerts, but this canal is down by the Buffalo waterfront/grain elevators/Naval Park (did they build the "service men's" park before you left?). Anyway, they've done a nice job building a decent waterfront area and park with a large enough area for staging, vending, etc., etc. so it's cool.

Thank your dad sometime for kick-starting OCO!

GJ
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:32 pm

Andrew was never flashy. He was all about generating "drive" from behind the kit. But he could do insane stuff. When we were in Cuba studying conga drumming I kindof mused with him that it would be hard, but probably possible for someone to play all 4 parts at once on the drum set. At that gig that I told you about where I sat in for half a song he played a fill during one tune where he did the guanguanco for one or two measures. Just in and out of a perfect, four part guanguanco. Cascara, clave and the two congas (on the toms.) He gave me a little nod afterwards and just went right back to the usual programming. That kindof control is amazing to me.

My Dad started the OCO in the late sixties or very early seventies as an avante garde jazz thing. I think it was just drums, bass, sax and Elliot Sharp (nickname: "F") on guitar. I can still vaguely remember a gig at UB with that lineup where they were playing some crazy shit. I musta been 4 or something.

Woah, Elliott does a blues thing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJujGir1X7c

(Now that I've literally taken this thread to Cuba, I'm going to stop hijacking it now.)
Carl Keil

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:16 am

No, no hi-jack; that's cool. I was kind of hoping you'd catch this stuff, actually.

I've got some of that Elliot Sharp "Terraplane" stuff on CD. Interesting. More "inside" than you'd expect (but still Elliot).

When did you guys go to Cuba? I spent about 10 days in Havana in 2002(?), I believe. Musicians on every corner (all playing "Guantanamera").

GJ
Gregg Juke

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:04 am

I think I went 86 and 87, but might be off by a year. Great groups of people both years. Amazing experience. We studied at the Conjunto Nacionale first year and the Ignacio Cervantes academy the next. 10 days of lessons in a 2 week period each time. And with great comrades, like I said.
Carl Keil

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:35 am

That's cool Carl. I didn't spend my time on music specifically (spiritual/humanitarian trip), but I hung with some good players, and got some good video, specifically a drummer named Noellio, who introduced me to a bunch of other ways to play the Songo. Cats be smokin' down there...

But I did notice that everybody/culture has it's bag-- a lot of the drummers down there can do any kind of four-limbed Latin Jazz craziness, but if you ask for a simple swing, shuffle, or a rock groove, things are a bit, ah, stiff.

GJ
Gregg Juke