Billy Dolan - 5ive Style - Guitar Tone

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:24 am

Hey Parkpolice, I really like that tune!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:00 pm

bumpity. so i just got home and in the mail was a copy of the das boton record, signed with birthday wishes from bill dolan...no doubt this was facilitated by my best friend in chicago, who caught their show last friday. wotta sweetheart!

so i just listened to it and i have a litany of complaints, but they are all immaterial because it's a new record of bill dolan playing guitar. so freakin' amazingly good. everything about the guys playing is just genius, he somehow manages to always play/write stuff that's catchy and easy to understand, but it's all kind of mind-bogglingly complex at the same time. ryan rapsys is great on drums too.

i wish it wasn't quite so practice space sounding and i'd really love to hear them hook up with a singer and work all those crazy riffs into some (just slightly) more conventional tunes/song structures, but i ain't complaining. it's really good stuff and sounds like people having fun playing music. the end.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:05 pm

and yeah parkpolice, this is nice stuff. good job.

billdolan
audio school

Joel Moore asks about 5ive style guitar tones

Post by billdolan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:49 pm

On the debut 5ive Style LP/CD recordings the amps used were a Fender Super Reverb 4x12 combo, and also a 1x12 20 watt vintage Epiphone amp. plus a Marshall half stack with a Les Paul was used but only to generate feedback noise on a track as an overdub.
Main guitars used were Fender Telecaster, an early 70's SG with mini humbuckers and a vintage Silvertone/Danelectro U1 full scale neck.
Mic selection unavailable.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Joel Moore asks about 5ive style guitar tones

Post by Jeff White » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:50 pm

billdolan wrote:On the debut 5ive Style LP/CD recordings the amps used were a Fender Super Reverb 4x12 combo, and also a 1x12 20 watt vintage Epiphone amp. plus a Marshall half stack with a Les Paul was used but only to generate feedback noise on a track as an overdub.
Main guitars used were Fender Telecaster, an early 70's SG with mini humbuckers and a vintage Silvertone/Danelectro U1 full scale neck.
WOW! thanks for this, Bill!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

TapeOpAl
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Re: Joel Moore asks about 5ive style guitar tones

Post by TapeOpAl » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:23 pm

billdolan wrote:On the debut 5ive Style LP/CD recordings the amps used were a Fender Super Reverb 4x12 combo, and also a 1x12 20 watt vintage Epiphone amp. plus a Marshall half stack with a Les Paul was used but only to generate feedback noise on a track as an overdub.
Awesome - big fan of your work! Where did you record the debut 5ive Style LP?