Question about credits and websites...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mn412
gimme a little kick & snare

Question about credits and websites...

Post by mn412 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:13 pm

Hey there,

Have a couple of quick questions and would like to hear what others have to say. I'm in the middle of building a website for my studio/engineering/production. I'm using Wix and they have a template for recording studios (I will be customizing heavily.) In this template they have a section for "Clients." I have some modest "Major Label" credits for a few projects I have been a part of ranging from assistant engineer to engineer to mixing. None of these projects were completed in my studio (just moved to a new place.) Question is is it ethical to include these projects in the "Clients" section?

Another question is: I was an assistant on a record that went "Gold" might even be Platinum by now. Is it appropriate to include this in the "Clients" section? I would not claim to be anything other then assistant engineer on that project but, I don't have a ton of credits. This project is on my all music page though. Would you guys include it? its not like they were my "Client" but, I did work on the project and am quite proud of it.

Thanks

norsehorse
gettin' sounds

Post by norsehorse » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:03 am

If you are making a webpage for your studio, list clients that have recorded at your studio.

If you a making a webpage for your personal brand (mn412, engineer), list clients that have hired you and/or artists you have worked with. The former is much better.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:09 am

And if it's a studio web page, consider having a "staff" page where you can list the personal credits of each staffer.

(Not sure this is different than what norsehorse said ...)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:59 am

I personally wouldn't include projects I assisted on unless I say so on my site. And then 'assisting' doesn't sound like a great credit so I'd just leave it off.

I tend to be much more conservative with who I say I work with and usually just include people I really dealt with. Yeah, technically I may have done stuff with 'blank' but it was just converting SDII files to .wavs for a demo. I'm not including that. The old studio I used to work at would list anyone who even walked through the door which I felt was deceptive.

EDIT: For me a loophole for assisting credit is "second engineer". There have been sessions that I've assisted on for 90% of the project but there were points that I was recording and even engineering. For those instances I'd try to get a second engineer credit and I'm fine with listing those. Personally, I feel like one should get "engineer" credit if they setup the mics and record the instrument. Even if it's just a tambourine overdub. Sometimes the main engineer doesn't like to share credit and hence the "2nd" title.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:23 am

vvv wrote:And if it's a studio web page, consider having a "staff" page where you can list the personal credits of each staffer.

That's how we do it.
You can use some symbols to show what you did on each particular record.

our staff page
http://www.cowboytechnical.com/NewCowbo ... Staff.html
my entry
http://www.cowboytechnical.com/NewCowbo ... edits.html

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:38 am

Very 8) .
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:20 pm

roscoenyc wrote:
vvv wrote:And if it's a studio web page, consider having a "staff" page where you can list the personal credits of each staffer.

That's how we do it.
You can use some symbols to show what you did on each particular record.

our staff page
http://www.cowboytechnical.com/NewCowbo ... Staff.html
my entry
http://www.cowboytechnical.com/NewCowbo ... edits.html
yes. this is awesome.

I don't hVe a studio, but run a production company....and I've done a lot of random stuff. I just list a handful of what I've done. it's just a place-holder site, I still gotta update that beast with my actual branding.....this year