Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me

Post by Jeff White » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:29 am

http://www.bigstarstory.com/

I just watched this last night and it is a beautiful masterpiece that really pulled at my heart strings. So much to say about this but I don't really want to give anything away. Really amazing documentary.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:48 am

Oh Crap! Now I know its amazing....you've ruined it for me. ;)
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Will definitely check that out. Find I listen to Third the most.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:58 am

This is finally showing in NC in August. Totally going. Iv'e heard it's pretty amazing for a fan.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:40 pm

I think you can also stream it now on amazon instant video, if you are technologically set up for that.

I just saw it in sf. I deleted my comments here until more people have seen it. It will probably not meet all of everyone's hopes and wishes but is definitely worth seeing.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:44 am

While it's a well done movie, I was pretty disappointed with what they choose to focus on. Too much about Ardent and the rock writers convention...

I wish it had examined their personal lives and their the circumstances surrounding their deaths. What was going on to inspire those lyrics?
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:07 am

yeah, there's a little more about the rock writer's convention than most people would care about, but most of those folks also provide some of the most fascinating interviews in the film. there's also more deep and personal info about Chris Bell than I've seen from just about any other source. especially if you've read Rob Jovanovic's book (or even if not) it's like the whole story coming to life. really well done, overall.

also, as if this wasn't already patently obvious: John Fry is the man.
get up with it

spaced.
audio school

Post by spaced. » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:34 am

I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't even know this documentary had come out. Still! Gonna have to hit up amazon instant video tonight after work.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:00 am

I saw it the other night in a theatre in Winston Salem. I thought it was really well done. As a fan of the band, I found it to be extremely moving.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

elvers
audio school

Post by elvers » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:08 am

Went to the premiere in London (somehow) and I have to say I was a little underwhelmed. felt it was paced very slowly and everytime a bit of keenly anticipated music cropped up, they'd play a snipet then cut into it with another talking head or whatever. Found myself wishing they'd let more of the songs play out.

I'm a huge fan of Big Star and had been lucky enough to meet Alex not long before he died but for some reason I wasn't grabbed by the movie. Maybe it's because there was so little new footage to me (having already trawled teh netz for every morsel over the years).

Or maybe it was just because I was aware that my date at the showing was bored senseless. That can really put a dent in your enjoyment of these things. I'm looking forward to giving it another go. Alone. With a few beers and maybe a guitar to hand.