Shure M67 Mods

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Viva...,

They used to make them as an add-on accessory; doubt you'll get Shure to respond now. But, they come-up every once in awhile, if you're willing to scour ebay.

GJ

highvoltage
audio school

Post by highvoltage » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:25 am

Hi, i would like to remove the VU meter, cause its just annoying me with the clicking sound it makes as it hits the wall.

How can i do that? Is it just that simple as cutting its wire?

Thanks!!

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:17 am

highvoltage wrote:So, what is the difference between the m267 and m67? In term of sound?
Does the older m67 sound more 'vintage'?

Just cause i live in Europe, and the m267 can work at 240v.
Its almost impossible to find an m67-2E here, and im really not good at modding stuff...
I don't have much experience with the M67, but I do have an m267 and the limiter really does make some mono drums thump.

famous beagle
audio school

Post by famous beagle » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:03 am

I know this is an old thread, but I just acquired an M67 and am interested in performing this mod. I had a question for the OP, if he's still around. If not, maybe someone else could tell me.

What's the purpose/reason for eliminating the low cut filter?

Thanks

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:15 pm

low cut/hi pass filters (same thing) attenuate bass frequencies. not ideal if you're using this pre on, say, kick drum.
welcome to the board!
Village Idiot.

famous beagle
audio school

Post by famous beagle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:22 pm

floid wrote:low cut/hi pass filters (same thing) attenuate bass frequencies. not ideal if you're using this pre on, say, kick drum.
welcome to the board!
Thanks for the response. I understand how you wouldn't use it on kick drum, bass, etc., but wouldn't it be useful on some vocals or higher-pitched instruments? Or even just as an effect if you wanted it?

My point is ... is the removal of it necessary for this mod? I mean, why not leave it in there just for the option to have it?

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:58 pm

looking at the schematic, i'd say you could use the switch to short/allow a second, smaller cap between c10 (as labeled in Rod's schematic) and the output jack. You'll prolly want to play with a few different values to see what you like. The two caps in series result in a capacitance smaller than the small value; this value forms a filter by interacting with whatever resistance/ impedance load it encounters (which is why c10 is fairly large, btw, to keep the filter way down there). it's about as basic as they come, it's frequency response will tend to vary in performance depending on what you're connecting the output to. FWIW, Altec used something pretty similar in the 1628.
Village Idiot.

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:57 am

I recently modded an M267 for a guy and I just clipped the high pass cap and wired where it is from the switch to a direct out on three of the channels. So now when the switch is in normal position everything goes to the bus, when the low cut is on it cuts it from the bus and only does the direct out.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:16 pm

now that's a good way to repurpose the switch
Village Idiot.

famous beagle
audio school

Post by famous beagle » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:50 am

Cool idea Darlington!

I'm a bit of newb, so sorry if this is a stupid question. But is it true that when using the direct out feature, the pres are functioning as a transformerless pre? But when using the mixing buss, they're using the transformer?

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:33 pm

famous beagle wrote:Cool idea Darlington!

I'm a bit of newb, so sorry if this is a stupid question. But is it true that when using the direct out feature, the pres are functioning as a transformerless pre? But when using the mixing buss, they're using the transformer?
The input transformer and amp are still active, but no output transformer or limiter if you cut from the buss and it's unbalanced. Not a big deal for the short runs in my rack. The guy that I modded his M267 had two and gave me one as payment. So now I have two and really enjoy them for drums.

famous beagle
audio school

Post by famous beagle » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:10 pm

Darlington Pair wrote:

The input transformer and amp are still active, but no output transformer or limiter if you cut from the buss and it's unbalanced. Not a big deal for the short runs in my rack. The guy that I modded his M267 had two and gave me one as payment. So now I have two and really enjoy them for drums.
Oh ok. So bypassing the output transformer doesn't really affect the tone much?

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:13 am

famous beagle wrote:
Darlington Pair wrote:

It does, but it served his purposes, it does make a huge difference if you are using the limiter, there are a lot of factors, I'm not sure how much the output iron is contributing to the sound. He's really happy with just the sound of the input trannys, personally I like to abuse the limiter and use them to submix, so I've left mine alone.

famous beagle
audio school

Post by famous beagle » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:36 am

Darlington Pair wrote:
famous beagle wrote:
Darlington Pair wrote:

It does, but it served his purposes, it does make a huge difference if you are using the limiter, there are a lot of factors, I'm not sure how much the output iron is contributing to the sound. He's really happy with just the sound of the input trannys, personally I like to abuse the limiter and use them to submix, so I've left mine alone.
Oh ok, cool. So the mod with using the Lo-cut switch to switch between direct out and submixed is really the best of both worlds, I guess, huh?

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:36 pm

famous beagle wrote:
Darlington Pair wrote:
famous beagle wrote:
Darlington Pair wrote:

Oh ok, cool. So the mod with using the Lo-cut switch to switch between direct out and submixed is really the best of both worlds, I guess, huh?
I would guess so, the lo-cut's roll off is set too high for my tastes so it's either use them for direct outs or up the value of the lo-cut cap to roll off a little less high (if I remember correctly, it's -3db at 200hz)