Trailer Studio Build...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:59 pm

I guess it's been a while since I posted on this thread. Quite an interesting year in the trailer. I've gotten a lot of work done in it, including my first feature length film score which I just completed about a month ago. Having this thing has saved my ass and totally made it possible for me to progress in my new-ish career while still being able to be present for my wife and kids, so it's with a pang of remorse that I let y'all know that the days of the trailer studio will soon be coming to an end. :shock:

There's a lot of reasons behind this, including some things I didn't consider when setting up the trailer as a work space, new problems with the space that have reared their heads as I've delved deeper into the art of film scoring, and the fact that the garage which we thought was going to be saved for my wife's use is now going to be available. On top of that, I found out that I could get into trouble with the city for putting the trailer behind the garage, so it would have to stay where it is in the driveway, kind of blocking the flow from the front of the house to the back (and getting in the way of finally putting up a basketball hoop, a dream of mine since my childhood in Manhattan, watching 80's movies that all took place in the SF Valley where everybody seems to have a basketball hoop)...

The fact is that we're planning on staying in this house for the foreseeable future. While I could probably fix a large majority of the problems that the trailer is presenting if that was my only choice, I'll be in a position soon to invest in a space that can be a little (a lot actually) more comfortable for the amount and kind of time I need to spend in it, and won't block up half the driveway. If I'm going to invest more in it anyhow, might as well go in the best direction for the long-term.

Not sure what's going to become of the trailer. One of our budgetary considerations when I got it was the idea of investing about as much in it, and not more, than I would paying rent for one year using some little post-prod room in some media center (or something like that) that I'd have to commute to. We stayed within that goal, and I've been in it almost 2 years now, so I don't feel like I'll be losing money at any point. Like I said, the trailer allowed me to actually get working, which would have been almost impossible trying to work out of either our old apartment or in our new house with little tornado toddler around pulling off knobs, punching in speakers, knocking over any kind of stand that's around, throwing instruments around, etc..

It might now be most economically efficient to strip the inside and pull out every scrap of 703 and 705 I put in it, to put towards my needs in the new space. I can probably also sell off the fancy RV AC unit that never got hooked up. Then I'd probably sell it super cheap or give it away to whoever would come tow it away, or junk it if it comes to that. It seems SO sacrilegious to even think about that, but I've got to be realistic about whether or not I could really sell it for much as is (definitely not in a shape/weight that could be legal for regular road use), and I have to remember to not be greedy, trying to scrape every penny I can out of something, but instead be thankful for what it's done for me and let it go at that. We'll see what happens.

First things first, got to build a small storage shed behind the garage and move the storage items in there so I can start construction. One good thing - almost half of the "storage" in the garage is instruments and equipment that I haven't had room for in the trailer, so HELLOOOooo WURLI TUBE ORGAN (among other things)!!! In the mean time, I'll of course be still working out of the trailer until I'm done with construction (and really who knows how long that'll take...)

Oh yeah, and I'm keeping the fridge iso cabinet, that's for DAMNED sure!!

nobody, really
takin' a dinner break

Post by nobody, really » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:26 pm

Man, reading through this thread was cool. My first band practiced in an old trailer out in the country for years. It was awesome. Smoke breaks under the stars. No need for soundproofing, just opened up what windows weren't broken. Cold in the winter and hot in the summer. When we'd really get rocking, the power would go out and then whoever had to flip the breaker would get a little zap. Eventually a family of mice made a home in my bass cab. Good times. After that, I moved around a ton and always had some romantic notion about gutting a trailer and building a semi-mobile practice/recording space. Hey, some people juggle geese. Nice to know it worked out for ya.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:46 pm

Hi,
I've enjoyed watching your trailer story. I've been working on the road doing natural gas pipelines the last few years, and 4 years ago remodeled my camper as a studio/living space. I did the walls in the kitchen/living room area with 2 inch Auralex, and the ceiling with 1&1/2 in egg crate type auralex, blinds on the windows. Added a 30 amp line in to a fuse box to dedicated sockets in alum. housings on the floor for the studio gear, and use the original line in for the trailer's needs. Replaced the original carpeted floor with painted 3/4" exterior grade plywood. Nothing says trailer trash like porch paint on the floor. I use Auralex corners behind the monitors. I've found the bass passes right thru the walls, so I'm pretty happy with the sound, but it really cramps my living space, along with other issues. If I continue doing this I think I'll upgrade to a 42 or more foot toyhauler 5th wheel, and put the studio in the the toy compartment, it could be used as a mobile tracking unit after I retire in just a few short years. I've learned a lot about mobile rigs, just using it for my own purpose, 6 to 9 months out of the year, for the last 4, and think it's a useable solution, but there are a lot of variables out of your control for tracking inside, while power and isolation are the main ones I see for using it as a tracking unit. It's been quite an experience. It's parked up in 15 states since the conversion, and traveled through several more. Hope you've enjoyed yours as much as I have.

g.a.harry
alignin' 24-trk

Post by g.a.harry » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:32 pm

So, I know this thread has been idle for a while, but I didn't see it posted anywhere. What are the dimensions of the (now deceased?) trailer? I'll hazard a guess at 8'x16'x7.5.

Just for interest's sake more than anything else.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Funny... I was just thinking about this thread today. We were driving up Rte. 96 with a car full of vintage amps... passed a house with an old Conrail caboose outside it... and I thought, "ya know, I'll bet a properly motivated individual could build a recording studio in that."
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:32 am

wonderfriend wrote:So, I know this thread has been idle for a while, but I didn't see it posted anywhere. What are the dimensions of the (now deceased?) trailer? I'll hazard a guess at 8'x16'x7.5.

Just for interest's sake more than anything else.
28' long x approx 8' x 8'

An update has been warranted for a couple weeks now as a TON has gone on recently, but I just haven't had the time to sit down and properly write out the recent events. Of course, I don't have the time right now but the basics are:

The trailer is sold and gone! Sold to another studio (which made me very happy)... Shit was insane, though!

More soon...

nobody, really
takin' a dinner break

Post by nobody, really » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:12 am

cool that another studio bought it.

thebigred67
audio school

Post by thebigred67 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Cool. More pictures!