Suspended rolls of insallation?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Suspended rolls of insallation?

Post by randrohe » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:52 pm

Ok, I've had a few and am sitting in my room which is 20 x 20 x 18 high.

It's square. DOH!

If I were suspend cloth wrapped balls of insulation (like maybe even a whole roll type thing), ( the cheap yellow construction type probably minus the paper backing?) covered in cloth to contain and make art of the fiberglass..That couldn't hurt right? Like a 1/2 dozen or so balls randomly hanging at different heights?..

I have some 703 type stuff on the walls now and that has made a huge difference. No mathematical layout, but helpful nonetheless..
The ceiling is symmetrical w/ no treatment.

Actually, here is a link..
http://www.insidetheoutpost.com

Not trying to promote in any way as this isn't a business but a hobby/obsession.
Just an idea of the space.

I guess I could answer my own question w/a question, "When has art that has mass and absorbing qualities ever been a bad idea"?

Thanks for any input.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:42 am

Hanging from the ceiling?

Soft materials will help reduce flutter echo and first reflections.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:08 pm

You can also stack rolls of insulation in the corners for a ghetto bass trap. Preferably unopened so no fiberglass fibers get exposed.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:16 pm

Why not do the math, or at least do some listening tests and/or run some frequency sweeps to see where your problems are. It's not that hard and it might make the things look cooler if there was some rhyme or reason to their size, composition and placement. At least that's how my mind works, being a "form follows function" adherent.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:11 am

I definitely agree that testing a room is a great thing for an engineer to do, because it will tell you where the problems are in your room, both location-wise and frequency-wise. This is useful to know when you are mixing -- for instance, if you are trying to get a kick drum to sit right with a bass, and you have a +10dB peak at 75Hz and a -20dB null at 68Hz at the mix position. Useful stuff.

However, we already know what the solution is going to be (add bass traps to as many corners as possible), so it's not 100% necessary to test before treatment.

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:12 pm

Appreciate the feedback..

I have 2" x 14" 703 type stuff in the corners.
i know it isn't enough mass but until the next make over that is what it is..

If I jammed loose insulation behind the corners panels that would give me about 1' max depth in the corner @ 45 degrees..
Is insulation stuffed into plastic acceptable or should the covering be porous?

Damn..Corners are boring.
I wanted to make a mini solar system w/ my hanging balls!

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:21 pm

randrohe wrote:I wanted to make a mini solar system w/ my hanging balls!
:D

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:22 pm

You're in a tough room (almost a cube).... those absorbers aren't big enough to help in the lowest bass frequencies, probably 150-200Hz or so on down aren't getting what they need.

That room will never be great on bass, but with enough trapping you can make it much more workable....

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:13 am

ok Thanks JWL..
The corners it is then.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:43 pm

super chunks work really well (that's OC703 cut into triangles - each sheet gets you 4 pieces - and then stacked in a corner)

or I also got some fabric laundry bags and once stuffed them with cotton (Insulcot) insulation and stacked them in the corners for a temporary solution. worked OK and much less itchy.

a picture here: http://www.studiodrumtracks.com/basstraps/index.htm
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:18 am

I would think about making a trap with a frame and 703 pieces that is larger than the typical 2' across. It should cover the corner (floor to ceiling) with plenty of space behind the 703. Wood frame with some slats in front so some of your treble bounces back but bass has to go through the insulation, and into the cavity. You're losing square footage, but you're also making the fingerprint of your room less essentially square.

That's one of the main suggestions Rod makes in his book for bass issues.

From there I get a little lost myself as dimensions can effect different frequencies in a more purposeful way, which is where I feel myself to be an 'engineer' instead of an 'Engineer'.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Fri May 09, 2014 1:13 pm

How many of those 703 panels do you have? Why not stack the rolls of pink fluffy stuff in the corners and move those panels to the first reflection points and/or cloud position where they can do you some good?

Tyler
audio school graduate

Post by Tyler » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:55 am

Would building a small loft change the effective dimensions of the room? Say, an insulated (for dampening) slab six feet deep, across the full length of one wall, 3/5ths of the way up? For your calculations, would that look like a room with an extreme el or would sound waves pretty much ignore it?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:02 pm

If you've got rolled insulation, it's really easy to build a frame, tack in some fabric and roll the insulation in it. Add some eye hooks, chain and ceiling hooks and you got yourself a cloud. I made mine from 1x4" 8-foot boards.

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:02 am

I have recently just added 8'x20"x12" deep traps in the corners.
I used Roxul w/ landscaping screen over it.
They currently are tight against the wall and don't have the mass I was hoping for, but they take up no more space then the emptiness that existed there before.
And I have actually noticed a difference.
The kick and bass have tightened up considerably upon playback of pre recorded stuff that I know well.
They cost about $100 for 3 which includes the 1.5x1.5" framework.
And I think the landscape netting that is used to control weed was also a lucky find as it is porous and looks like a speaker grill cloth. And cheap.
I'm stoked to make more panels for the wall. Many many more..
I'm going go at least 2x4x6" deep.
As always, thanks for your input.

Best,
Rand Rohe