Interface suggestions for my analogue world

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CustomRecordingCo.
ass engineer

Interface suggestions for my analogue world

Post by CustomRecordingCo. » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:39 am

Hey everyone! I'm having some trouble distinguishing good from just OK in my search for an interface. Let me tell you a little about our studio and needs.

We're a taped based studio near Chicago. A "vintage" studio if you will - 50's/60's technology, BUT we have modern flexibility. When needed, we either track to Reaper and mix to tape, or track to tape and mix ITB. Right now, we have 2 Presonus Firestudio Projects. The ins/outs are wired to a patch bay so I can send inputs/ outputs either from/to the console or tape... This is perfect for us as I have a 16 track head stack on my 2" machine. I prefer to use the computer (when needed) as just the recording medium and mix on my console. I'm running a Mac too.

The firestudios were okay at first, but the more I critically listen to them, the more flat and 1 dimensional they sound. I'm lookin for something that allows 16 in and 16 out, I don't need mic pres., and it has to work with Reaper. The interface is the only piece of digital hardware in my studio, so midi and other digital connectivity is of no concern to me. FireWire or USB will work. Obviously price is always a factor, but I hesitate giving a budget because I don't want to limit myself.

Is there a "budget friendly" interface that everyone is flocking to these days? Will I only be satisfied spending a couple thousand dollars? I've heard good things about the Maudio 2626, but I hesitate buying something in the same price range as what I already have for fear that it will only give me a hardly noticeable difference.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:27 am

I would definitely try these:

Apogee Symphony.

Focusrite RedNet.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kevin206
gettin' sounds

Post by kevin206 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:23 pm

I have an even cheaper setup than you do, the TASCAM US-1641. I use REAPER, also. I've been reading about some MOTU interfaces. I would like 16 in AND 16 out. Anyway, enough rambling...."flat and one-dimensional" sounds like a good thing. Could use just use your console pres for the character? Or even add some stand-alone pres to your setup?