Show us your recording space, right NOW

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:08 pm

LupineSound wrote:Here is my playground. Stop by if you're ever in RI :lol:
I might get in touch about doing that! I've got family in Rhode Island (Coventry). I go up every year for Christmas but I'll be making a trip through this summer. Your place looks beautiful!
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

LupineSound
gettin' sounds

Post by LupineSound » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:27 am

Gregg Juke wrote:Love it! TWO complete drum kits! What are the differences and finer points of each?

Rope and string lights... Everyone's got them nowadays... I wanted to hang some Chinese lanterns, but was shot down by the partnership triumvirate. Another thing for the list when I get my own own place..

GJ
Look closely, there's actually 3 drum kits set up! haha. I usually leave a couple set up between recording projects: my friends jazz kit and my rock kit. That way whatever style you're in the mood to play, it's ready to go :)

As for the rope lights and etc. Well, I don't have much of an eye for design. The place could probably look a lot nicer, but I guess I don't care so much about aesthetics. heh

LupineSound
gettin' sounds

Post by LupineSound » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:35 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:that's a real nice looking room!

lupinesound, my band's playing at machines with magnets at the end of the month, and ms morespace's sister lives in pawtucket...would love to swing by sometime.
Oh dang, I didn't see this til just now. What band are you in? I love MWM. Local heroes of mine, for sure! They did the Psychic Paramount's album "II", which is one of my all-time favorites. I forget who mastered it, but they crushed the shit out of it and it still sounds great! I can think of only one album louder than that, which is by the band High Rise. Not that loudness is a quality metric or anything, but sometimes a blown-out recording can be a cool effect.

LupineSound
gettin' sounds

Post by LupineSound » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:37 am

jgimbel wrote:
LupineSound wrote:Here is my playground. Stop by if you're ever in RI :lol:
I might get in touch about doing that! I've got family in Rhode Island (Coventry). I go up every year for Christmas but I'll be making a trip through this summer. Your place looks beautiful!
Do it up, man. We're having some fun in here. I usually host an open jam a couple weekends a month. Bring your horn/axe/what have you and we'll record it--warts and all. :D

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:49 am

lupine, i play in a band called hex map. i mastered their new record and started playing drums with them shortly thereafter. the record is here if you wanna hear it. i'm biased but i think it's real fucking good.

MWM....those dudes are great. everything that comes out of that place sounds amazing. their whole operation there is really impressive, the whole place is really nice. and i pretty much don't care about gear at all (rooms and spaces and buildings are a lot more interesting to me) but walking into the control room there is like OMGWTFBBQ Awesome Gear Overload.

oh and your default no-aesthetic aesthetic at your place is way cooler than lots of people's studios.

LupineSound
gettin' sounds

Post by LupineSound » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:33 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:lupine, i play in a band called hex map. i mastered their new record and started playing drums with them shortly thereafter. the record is here if you wanna hear it. i'm biased but i think it's real fucking good.

MWM....those dudes are great. everything that comes out of that place sounds amazing. their whole operation there is really impressive, the whole place is really nice. and i pretty much don't care about gear at all (rooms and spaces and buildings are a lot more interesting to me) but walking into the control room there is like OMGWTFBBQ Awesome Gear Overload.

oh and your default no-aesthetic aesthetic at your place is way cooler than lots of people's studios.
For realz, man. Their gear list is a wet dream. haha. I don't have much fancy gear, but at least I got a giant room that sounds good! Diggin this Hex Map stuff. Spooky, weird and a little mathy. Interesting combination. I'll try to check you guys at Dusk next month!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:17 pm

a giant room that sounds good is most of the battle.

despite all the insane gear at MWM, i think most of the awesome sound of their records is due to the sound of their live room. i was just listening to a big bear record they did there and the room sound on the snare is just so good. the neptune and ho-ag records have the same sound. really thick detailed low mids on everything that comes outta there.

and their live room is way smaller than i'd expected from listening to the records...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:05 am

Woah! 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:35 am

I love the vibe(s) there, man...

Yours?

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:40 am

Gregg Juke wrote:I love the vibe(s) there, man...

Yours?

GJ
Yeo! I bought them 2 days after getting my music degree.

Thanks

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:51 am

Still playing? Mallets are something I've never attacked seriously (but I do have a nice glock set).

Question-- Lionel Hampton, Milt Jackson, Gary Burton, or Bobby Hutcherson??

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:11 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Still playing? Mallets are something I've never attacked seriously (but I do have a nice glock set).
I actually just got them back from a friend. His son needed to get his mallet chops happening so they had them for months. I've got a student now that is starting jazz band so I got them back. I play as needed. I was always a shitty mallet player compared to the rest of the percussion family. These days I play as needed.
Gregg Juke wrote:Question-- Lionel Hampton, Milt Jackson, Gary Burton, or Bobby Hutcherson??

GJ
Yes.

I've seen Burton a couple of times and the guy is just plain amazing in his facility both on the instrument AND harmonically and melodically.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:18 am

The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:12 am

drumsound wrote:Image

G&Ls all day long, eh? Nice.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/