Help Sending files to client

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mn412
gimme a little kick & snare

Help Sending files to client

Post by mn412 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:35 am

Hey All,

Have just finished up mixing and mastering a project for a client. I want to send the mastered audio to client for approval. My thought was I would just create a disc image in disk utility (mac) then they could burn and listen. Turns out you can't create a disk image of an Audio cd in disk utility. Any thoughts how the easiest way to share is? I know that they won't be able to play the DDP Image. Obviously i'm not a mastering person (was trying to help the client save some money) They have approved all the mixes just want them to be able to listen to spacings and see embedded text.

Thanks

Injured Ear
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Injured Ear » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:22 am

If this is something you plan on doing often, then maybe you want to look into purchasing software that will let your clients listen to DDPs.
HOFA offers a reasonably priced solution:
http://hofa-plugins.de/pages/start_en/h ... ker_en.php

I know Sterling utilizes a custom DDP player that you can download:
http://sterling-sound.com/software/
Maybe check to see if it will open *any* DDP file (not just their own files?)

I used to be able to make ISO images from Roxio Toast and Jam. Might want to try that. Also reasonably priced http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast ... rview.html

Last ditch effort: Make a sequence with the song titles in order (01_Song1, 02_Song2) and have them drop it into iTunes and tell them to make sure that crossfade is turned off and make sure the preference is for 0 sec gaps between tracks.

mn412

Post by mn412 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:58 am

Definitely don't plan to do this often. It was either me or nobody. Basically didn't touch much just adding cd text, iscr codes and spacing.

Sterling only lets you listen to DDP images created by them. Great idea though. Didn't want to buy software to do this one time. I did figure out a work around. I burned a cd from Waveburner. Created a folder with those tracks and then was able to create a disk image from disk utility.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:59 am

there are applications that can package up an entire audio CD into something nice and transportable - something you could even upload to an ftp site or OneDrive, GoogleDrive, Dropbox, etc.

I know of a "free" way to do this but unfortunately you will have to take your master CD to a PC to accomplish it (the app does not work on Mac - that's a first I think...?).

go to a PC and open this -- http://www.kunaki.com/new.asp

download the app. you can ignore the artwork and get straight to the part where it asks you to pop in the CD. it will extract the audio files (lossless) and package them into a self-extracting executable file. Now you are supposed to "publish" this, which means upload to Kunaki. But you could now take the resulting files and "publish" them to your client so they can burn a test CD (that really is what the app is meant to do). when the client runs the app it will burn a CD for them - the app has that ability built into it.

Of course if you want cheap CD duplication then add the artwork and upload... btw, they are the cheapest I've found for small run (CD-R) duplication and the quality is decent too.

Mike
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

mn412

Post by mn412 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:07 pm

Thats great Thanks. Now to find a PC

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:30 pm

Whatever happened to sending an actual CD???

FedEx, USPS, whichever way you want.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:51 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:Whatever happened to sending an actual CD???

FedEx, USPS, whichever way you want.
Was thinking the same. I mean, if you're going to do this often, finding a nerdy solution could be worth the time. Otherwise, save everyone some hassle and keep the post office in business.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:49 am

shipping physical media is easy but it adds time and cost to the process. sometimes that is not a big deal, but if you overnight 3 or 4 copies it can add up quickly. If your client is still on dial-up, then by all means, use the post office - it's still quicker.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com