Driving Ground Rod the Easy Way

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DrummerMan
george martin

Driving Ground Rod the Easy Way

Post by DrummerMan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:48 pm

This may be old or standard info for most people but I found it really useful and kind of neat. WATCHED THIS VIDEO and learned how to drive a ground rod just using your hands and some water.

I ended up putting this 10', 1/2" thick rod all the way in ground completely by myself.

I have 2 things to add to that video's instructions.

1) While in retrospect it seems obvious and it may be implied by the narrator's impatience about pulling the rod all the way out, I don't think it's implicitly said that you should ALWAYS PULL UP THE GROUND ROD BEFORE TAKING ANY KIND OF BREAK. Even 20 seconds of the rod in the bottom of your back and forth motion and it will get really stuck. I learned this to my dismay about halfway through the process. Took A LOT of effort to get it back out again.

2) This may also be obvious but I didn't think about it til near the end. If you have access to a hose, you can just set it next to your hole with a medium trickle going at all times, really sped up the last couple of feet.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Re: Driving Ground Rod the Easy Way

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:21 pm

DrummerMan wrote:WATCHED THIS VIDEO and learned how to drive a ground rod just using your hands and some water.
That's excellent! Thank you!