Exaggerating your credits

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:29 pm

since this is already off-course, let me add a browser tip of the day...

CTRL and + or - will zoom in and out on most browsers. It works for me on IE and Chrome on a Windows system.. I'm sure its similar on other platforms.

then you don't have to cut and paste to decode the secret fine print.

Mike

there is no secret fine print here
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:53 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:>>>>Just zoom in on your Magic Trackpad.<<<<

Wish I had one...

++++thatswhatshesaid++++

Not to me, brother...

GJ
To the guy standin' behind you, then?

Eh ...

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:06 pm

I knew a guy from GS who I almost became partners with. He claimed a bunch of big things including working with the Cro-Mags, Michael Bienhorn, Jason Corsero and I think even tried to claim Andy Wallace for a while. As we were trying to get things happening (at my place where he tried to take over and tell me everything that was wrong...) I came to understand all these "known" things he'd done happened at a studio where he was interning. He wasn't even an assistant, he was the INTERN!

also, fuck that guy.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:35 pm

If you zoom in really close with your Magic Trackpad the letters look like doobies

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:16 am

I know a guy dates GG Allin's ex-girlfriend.

I mean, that's about the weirdest credit-claim I ever heard.

:twisted:

(ott0bot: :lol: )
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:24 am

vvv wrote:I know a guy dates GG Allin's ex-girlfriend.
I mean, that's about the weirdest credit-claim I ever heard.
A while back I got a gig at this terrible venue, equal parts bar and asian restaurant. The person who typically hosts wasn't available so they asked me to run the show. It's getting really close to the time the 1st act goes on and he's not there yet, and in slinks this lady who looks like a cross between Alice Cooper and (present day) Stevie Nicks. She says she "represents" the guy going on 1st and starts in with "my artist won't come inside until he goes on stage" and sure enough, I see through the window a dopey looking kid tuning his guitar on the sidewalk. I said that if he's not ready somebody else can go on, but she insists that we wait for "my artist" and blah blah. It's a Sunday matinee show with like 5 people there, and she's dropping all these show-biz terms. It was bizarre.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, at one point during our conversation she claimed to have co-written the song "White Wedding." :lol:

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:44 pm

My band was on the bill once with Starship. At least, that's what the promoter kept telling us. We never for a minute believed him. It was strange. When I booked the gig, it was just "I want to play at your bar," and he said "great; you can open for Starship." Uh, okay. I checked the papers and found no evidence that Starship was even together, let alone touring. So we knew that part was bs.

But we took the date, and got a friend's band to play before us. It was this strange little bar behind a restaurant (someplace that Starship was just too big to play, even in these, their waning State Fair days), and even 5 minutes before we go onstage the guy was still insisting Starship was headlining that night, saying "any minute now their tour bus is gonna pull up." O-kay, thanks man.

He also kept going on and on about how much he'd spent on the microphones and telling us not to touch them. They were Shure SM48s.

I always wanted to meet Grace Slick, of course, but come on.

TL;DR: there is a point where a band is wise enough to sniff out crazy, but not quite smart enough to just walk away from it.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:59 pm

I think it's the other way around-- "Smart enough, but not wise enough..." Unless you mean Wise Guy (a few of whom I've known), or "Weisenheimer," many of whom I've known, including one who almost got us killed one night in an incident involving our set list and a patron with a really large Bowie knife...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:10 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:I think it's the other way around-- "Smart enough, but not wise enough..." Unless you mean Wise Guy (a few of whom I've known), or "Weisenheimer," many of whom I've known, including one who almost got us killed one night in an incident involving our set list and a patron with a really large Bowie knife...

GJ
Yeah, you're right.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/