Bouncedown or share a video/audio project in Pro Tools 10?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cstocker77
alignin' 24-trk

Bouncedown or share a video/audio project in Pro Tools 10?

Post by cstocker77 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:07 am

I have imported a quicktime file. It has both video and audio.

Then I recorded more music on top of that movie file.

Now I want to show it to the director.

How do I do that?

The bounce to Quick TIme worked. But I can't seem to get it into a form that I can share it. I have tried We Transfer, Dropbox. It's a .mov file. Maybe I need it in mp4?

I have a director of a horror movie shaking in his boots because he can't hear the work I'm doing for him!

If anyone can help, thanks.

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:57 am

Open a YouTube account. Upload your video (.mov) and make it private, available only to the director.

If you have a 15-minute limit, YouTube will eventually allow you to upload videos of unlimited length. In the meantime, you can upload 15-minute chunks of the movie.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Re: Bouncedown or share a video/audio project in Pro Tools 1

Post by RoyMatthews » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:27 am

cstocker77 wrote:I have imported a quicktime file. It has both video and audio.

Then I recorded more music on top of that movie file.

Now I want to show it to the director.

How do I do that?

The bounce to Quick TIme worked. But I can't seem to get it into a form that I can share it. I have tried We Transfer, Dropbox. It's a .mov file. Maybe I need it in mp4?

I have a director of a horror movie shaking in his boots because he can't hear the work I'm doing for him!

If anyone can help, thanks.
I've never had to do this much so take it with a grain of salt but you can try exporting the file in QuickTime. I'm not in from of my computer right now but I believe there is a "Share" menu item. There also is an export option, probably under the File menu.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

cstocker77
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cstocker77 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:21 pm

You Tube, great idea, i made it private so no one else but the director can see it. But it's still kinda dumb that this task isn't easier. I can't imagine doing a film project, and not sending back and forth the piece for revisions and confirmations, etc. This makes it very tedious to do this kind of work in Pro Tools. There is no option to bounce it as a mp4.

That is a problem with Pro Tools.

But I got it bounced through Pro Tools, and I can watch it on my computer, I'm having trouble sharing my work. Thats NOT Pro Tools fault, as much as it is the online sharing sites not being able to upload/download correctly my .mov file.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:40 pm

This may be fixed with PT11, but the thing to keep in mind is that the postproduction features of PT were developed in an era where video editorial and post sound were two very distinct disciplines and very separate departments, and the standard procedure was for the audio room to deliver final mixes to the video editor, who would then lay the mix back to the master picture file. So it wasn't as important for PT to be able to spit out a picture file as it was to deliver a good final audio file to send to the video guys. Seriously, the last time I had to lay back a mix to picture myself, it was to 3/4" UMAT!

Nowadays these lines are more blurred, and with PT now owned by AVID, and features from PT and AVID sneaking in to each other, I'm guessing this won't be a problem for long. But the architecture of a program as hoary and long-in-the-tooth as PT (and I'm a regular PT user, don't think I'm bashing here) will often have legacy code/features/processes that make perfect sense for the industry as it was ten or twenty years ago, but don't really apply now.

FWIW, PT10 kicks out a standard QT just fine, and if you hold down Control-Option-Command when you select the Bounce option, you get a full set of compression options so you can customize the resulting .mov file. This has been a little-known feature since PT7.2.

And for $20 you could get Quicktime Pro and make an mp4 from that .mov.

Also, I don't know what the deal is with YouSendIt/Dropbox etc. on your end, but none of those services should have a problem moving an .mov file. QuickTime is pretty ubiquitous; you shouldn't have difficulty sending it and your client shouldn't have difficulty viewing it. That part puzzles me.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:57 am

cstocker77 wrote:You Tube, great idea, i made it private so no one else but the director can see it. But it's still kinda dumb that this task isn't easier. I can't imagine doing a film project, and not sending back and forth the piece for revisions and confirmations, etc. This makes it very tedious to do this kind of work in Pro Tools. There is no option to bounce it as a mp4.

That is a problem with Pro Tools.

But I got it bounced through Pro Tools, and I can watch it on my computer, I'm having trouble sharing my work. Thats NOT Pro Tools fault, as much as it is the online sharing sites not being able to upload/download correctly my .mov file.
Glad it worked out for you. As someone said last post, you should pay for Quicktime Pro ($20). It'll put out anything you want, and it's cheap.

.mov files are the largest of the video files, but all the other codecs still produce videos that are too big for emailing back and forth, so no matter what you do, you'll have to upload something to the web. You may as well stick with the YouTube routine.

cstocker77
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cstocker77 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:14 pm

YouTube hasn't been cooperating with me. But I am gonna try the Control/option/command hold down when selecting to bounce I will try. and if that doesn't work i will bite it, for $20 and get Quick Time Pro.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:30 pm

Is quicktime pro still a thing? I thought it ended with QT7.

Did you take a look at the Export options under the File menu?

Automator might have a workflow built in already that could help.

In the end I think it shouldn't be that much of an issue to send the video with audio.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:25 am

It occurred to me - maybe the guy you're sending it to is doing something wrong.

Try sending it to someone else and see if they can hear the music. If no one else is available, my email is timcasey@lowbudgetrecords.com.

To play it safe, your audio should be 16-bit, 48kHz, 29.97 drop frame. If not, that may be the problem on his end (depending on his system).

cstocker77
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cstocker77 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:26 pm

The EXPORT options are really only for exporting the audio. So it seems to me. I didn't see any options for video. I got it to YouTube but he made me take it down before he would even see it, because if it's published at all, even just by YouTube, it runs the risk of being disqualified from Sundance and other festivals. Uhg.

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:40 pm

Mail the guy a DVD. If you can't author an NTSC DVD, just burn a quicktime movie onto a blank disc as data and tell him to watch it on his computer.

(or ask him how he got his files from previous composers).

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:49 pm

cstocker77 wrote:The EXPORT options are really only for exporting the audio. So it seems to me. I didn't see any options for video. I got it to YouTube but he made me take it down before he would even see it, because if it's published at all, even just by YouTube, it runs the risk of being disqualified from Sundance and other festivals. Uhg.
Whelp, I'm not sure what version of Quicktime you're using because you can absolutely export a video.

Like, tjcasey1 said, at this point overnight him a DVD and then do some more research on how this is done because it is done all the time.

Find a video forum. I'm sure they would help more than we can.
Maybe http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/