How's the Mix? Excerpt of Counting Crows' Rain King cover

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

radionowhere
gimme a little kick & snare

How's the Mix? Excerpt of Counting Crows' Rain King cover

Post by radionowhere » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Hey Y'all:

Would love to get peoples' opinions on the mix for a cover of Counting Crows' "Rain King" that I'm doing. I feel like it's coming together ok, but I'm still having trouble clearing space for the baritone lead vocal and getting the kick/snare to sit right in the track.

It's a quick listen too: this is just a 1:23 excerpt.

Tia! ~ MB

https://soundcloud.com/radionowhere/rai ... pt/s-3yIdl
Loud guitars, award-winning songwriting, and visits from the devil.
Check it out and pick up a free EP here.

radionowhere

Post by radionowhere » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:32 am

Yes, I know this is not the coolest band/song; I'd be grateful if anyone had a couple of minutes to offer any thoughts on the mix. Thanks!

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:45 pm

I dunno, from my listen it sounded like the levels were all over the place. Not across the tune, but within it. Like the vox are loud and the kick and snare are loud and there's one guitar or keyboard or something that's loud and then there's some quiet stuff. Were you going for "depth"? My ear just wants to hear everything loud. Like pull the vox down 3 db and the kick and snare down 6db and push the master up until you're hitting -1db again (or whatever you're going for.) That's my $0.02 which is really probably worth one rupee. If Nick chimes in, just do whatever he says. Did you base your mix on the original?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

radionowhere

Post by radionowhere » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks, Snarl - appreciate the listen and the detailed feedback.

Nope, didn't base my mix on the original, partially because it's such a different approach to the tune, but also because my voice is about an octave lower than Duritz's. I find I always have to pull a lot of info out of bass/guitars/kick/snare to make room for it.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:15 am

Yeah I agree the vocals and possibly the drums are too hot relative to the rest of the song. I'd suggest listening at very low -- barely audible -- volumes to get a good balance, make sure you can still hear each instrument. When I listen to your mix like this, I can hear the vocals and drums, occasionally the organ, but everything else is gone.

Also, the reverb on the vocals sounds strange to me, but that could easily just be a taste thing. I'd probably go a bit drier than what you have, or maybe try a different style/styles of reverb.

radionowhere

Post by radionowhere » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:27 am

Thanks, JWL. Yeah, I agree about the verb.I thought it sounded a little strange too, but haven't yet been able to come up with something better. Will give it another shot!

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:50 pm

I checked out the original for a few seconds on YouTube and I think it might be worth a listen before you reapproach. The snare is loud, but the kick is quieter and the bass is louder. Guitar is louder. I actually was gonna say I like the voice on yours better than the original, but maybe it could be thinned out a bit for the instruments. This is rock and roll, after all. Gotta have some guitar. Just my half a cent.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

radionowhere

Post by radionowhere » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:49 pm

Hmmm...just checked the original again. Hate the snare sound, but otherwise that's a really solid mix. I think you're right that it could be a good education for my next shot at my mix. Thanks again!