Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:07 pm

Wow - Reply directly from the Mission Commander :)

Indeed - I heard about your RGB module pre-order via Peterson @ DIY-RE's email on Tuesday, and could not pass them up. For the price I would be content with kits, but offering these modules fully assembled AND TESTED/CALIBRATED for that price is just nuts. I would have never expected a compressor or delay module to be announced for this format. I'm eagerly awaiting future module announcements (I expect to be gobsmacked in the coming months!).

Back to the "Latest Gear you've acquired" topic ;)
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:38 pm

The latest....

mid 60's K Istanbul 22" ride.

Drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool......It's so thin and wobbly!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Good Luck At Any Cost

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:17 pm

Just gotta 8-ball.

Relax, I mean one of these:

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:32 pm

24 channel Studiomaster Mixdown Classic 8 for the mix room at home.
Now I'm off to throw the old TAC Scorpion in the lake.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:11 am

Oh, don't do that!

Couldn't ya just put it onna raft and gently send it on its way?

Or better yet, give it to a home for poor recordists?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:26 am

vvv wrote:Just gotta 8-ball.

Relax, I mean one of these:

I've had the blue one for years and I found it fairly worthless...until in the last few months I started using it in my junk music project (tapesuey.com)...on vocals, acoustic guitar, and organ. Soloed and unprocessed on vocals...runs rather thin, nasally, and phasey weird sounding...but overdriven or through guitar pedals it actually works better than the 57 and ev mics I had been using for this project. Surprised how well it worked on acoustic guitar and organ.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:23 pm

vvv wrote:Oh, don't do that!

Couldn't ya just put it onna raft and gently send it on its way?

Or better yet, give it to a home for poor recordists?
I'm actually thinking of giving it to a friend who's building a space. It's pretty shot - scratchy pots, worn out pan pots that don't pan anymore, terrible eq, and the master L/R is way way way out of balance. It's pretty much useless for mixing and not worth repairing (I never really liked it even when it was working). The only thing that seems usable are the pre-amps via the direct outs.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:35 pm

kslight: that is exactly my use for my blueballs - OK, I have just one and couldn't resist the pun - but it's a nice alternative to the 57, etc. on amps, and as a phantom-powered dynamic it's a bit unusual, and pretty hot. I've not tried the 8-ball yet but will this weekend.

A.D.McK.: I see individual channels for sale at times on the E-bog; do the pre's sound good?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:21 pm

They're ok. Very, very clean without much mojo.
I did lots of records with it and never minded the pre-amps. Mixing on it really sucked though.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:19 pm

Thanx!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:53 pm

After years of hunting and almost giving up on it as a total impossibility I have finally found the rare and elusive cheap/awesome acoustic guitar. It's a mid 60's Hofner Western 491. Basically Hofner's take on the J45. Solid spruce top, mahogany neck, back & sides. It was covered in dust and filth, the finish is shot, it needs a bridge re-glue and probably new machine heads but right now, cleaned up and restrung it sounds crazy good.
I was pretty sure I couldn't get this sound without spending at least $1K. $150 later I'm a very, very happy guy.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:14 pm

Excellent!
I mentioned before I bought a kinda damaged, used Martin for real cheap, I mean under US$500 - it's really kinda changed my life in that I now enjoy recording acoustic guitar - something I never did with the Washburns and Ibanez stuff I have. My old guitarist's nice Taylor was a eye opener, also, but this cheap Martin D1 is so balanced ... 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:06 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:After years of hunting and almost giving up on it as a total impossibility I have finally found the rare and elusive cheap/awesome acoustic guitar. It's a mid 60's Hofner Western 491. Basically Hofner's take on the J45. Solid spruce top, mahogany neck, back & sides. It was covered in dust and filth, the finish is shot, it needs a bridge re-glue and probably new machine heads but right now, cleaned up and restrung it sounds crazy good.
I was pretty sure I couldn't get this sound without spending at least $1K. $150 later I'm a very, very happy guy.

My ex wife has a wonderful Honer acoustic that is basically a D45 copy and sounds amazing. I tried to get it in the divorce, but she was having non of that. Luckily we get on well, and it still lives at the studio most of the time.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:08 am

Oh, my latest gear: I got a great deal on a demo Gretsch Bell Brass snare. She's lovely in every way. I also got a good deal on the Waves API bundle "used" over in GS.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:31 pm

Grab a Sennheiser e602?paid $100 which is a little more than I wanted to spend but it was the original version not MK II.

Hopefully I'll get to make some bigger gear purchases in the next couple weeks. Just waiting for those labels to send checks?I think this is the only career where it's normal to have to wait 3 to 6 months for payment :shock:
Still waiting for a Luna reunion