Teaching

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:29 pm

Yeah. It might not even happen at this point but we'll see.

To be fair, I never saw myself as a teach but I was asked by a producer I've worked with who's handling the other part of the class so I'd assume he think's I could see it as something I could do.

If it does happen it looks like really small classes. Like 2 or 3 people. Which is good for them because that means more individual time for them. I like that concept. I think I'd be a better tutor than a teacher, if that makes sense.

In the end, I've done this for 20 years or so and I have a solid background. It's just hard to suss out what really know and what I just gloss over. It's amazing how much is muscle memory.

If I had my way I'd have them do a session on a 16 track. "Outta tracks? Check to see if the the solo can go on the tom tracks. Just make sure you punch out before the fill to the 3rd verse. We'll figure out how to crosspatch them come mix time."

The drinking part is easy. Evan Williams is cheap and decent.

That reminds me to compare microphones to beer. I think a Royer 121 would probably taste like a Guinness. Etc.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:40 am

Yeah, I love Evan Williams! I think I first heard about it inna Will Oldham interview. It's like a less-sweet Jack, what JD I am forced to order in bars because they don't have EW. "Forced", I say.

To continue yer analogy then, a vintage mic might be like a vintage wine - you ain't sure it's still gonna be good.

Oh, and the SM57? Gallo Chardonnay. (BTW, ever hear this?)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:31 pm

vvv wrote:Yeah, I love Evan Williams! I think I first heard about it inna Will Oldham interview. It's like a less-sweet Jack, what JD I am forced to order in bars because they don't have EW. "Forced", I say.

To continue yer analogy then, a vintage mic might be like a vintage wine - you ain't sure it's still gonna be good.

Oh, and the SM57? Gallo Chardonnay. (BTW, ever hear this?)
The 57 is like dirty rain watter from your gutter...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Really?

I don't think it's unusable, just typically not preferred.

But for some purposes, like Chardonnay when you really want her to leave after the nitecap, it's perfuckt. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:59 pm

I can't hate a 57. It's probably never perfect but often plausible. It's the Honda Civic of microphones.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:31 am

I have a very public and deep hatred for the SM57. I just never connected with it. I feel like there's ALWAYS a better choice.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:00 am

drumsound wrote:I have a very public and deep hatred for the SM57. I just never connected with it. I feel like there's ALWAYS a better choice.
Totally fair. If a person doesn't have a connection with a particular tool then it's not the right tool. I get it. But often, I don't have many options and I've heard plenty of good recordings made with a 57 that I'm confident I could successfully record something with it. I have one in my collection and it's rarely my first choice for anything but if I need to put it on an amp I will and not look back. If I need to put it on a snare then so be it even though I have 3 other mics I'd go to first.

I wouldn't drive cross country in a Honda Civic. If I had to, though, I'd be fine with it. Maybe 57's are more like the Toyota pickup then make 'technicals' out of in the Middle East.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm starting to feel like we need a SM57 analogy thread.

You, know, "SM57s are to mic's what butt plugs are to sex toys."

Like that.

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:48 pm

Someone call Delta Force, this thread's been flown to Syria!
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:12 pm

I have driven cross country in a Honda Civic. It was fine. I'd rather drive cross country in a Honda Civic than drive downstate in an 80s Jaguar (which I have also done and after 19 years my backside still has not forgiven me).

That said: you should at least somewhat address proper gain staging, if you have the chance.

I don't generally use SM57s, but I will use the hell out of a 545.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:22 am

Quite a difference, isn't there?

I have a pistol-grip 545 that I got real cheap offa the bog because it doesn't have any markings.

It's a PITA to put onna a boom arm in front of an amp (it's also a 4-pin connector so needs an adaptor), but worth it.

(Intercepts Syria-bound thread, ignores backside set-up.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:55 am

I drove half way across the country in a Civic. It was great. Though if I had a choice I would have picked a different car.

Yeah, proper gain staging is one of the fundamentals that I planned focusing on. Heck, it's one of the fundamentals I'm constantly reminding myself of.

The class isn't happening now any. Maybe itll happen in the future but for now feel free to let it diverge to whatever.

The SM57 is the AK47 of microphones. Not counting the Telefunken mic with the same name. (do they still make that?)

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:34 am

You mean someone actually wants to ban the SM57 (besides Tony)??

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:41 am

Gregg Juke wrote:You mean someone actually wants to ban the SM57 (besides Tony)??

GJ
Well, I'm sure Albini would be on board with a banning.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:04 pm

vvv wrote:I'm starting to feel like we need a SM57 analogy thread.

You, know, "SM57s are to mic's what butt plugs are to sex toys."

Like that.

:twisted:
RoyMatthews wrote:
Gregg Juke wrote:You mean someone actually wants to ban the SM57 (besides Tony)??

GJ
Well, I'm sure Albini would be on board with a banning.
Toquote the Electrical Audio website describing the Beyer M201 "If the SM57 were a microphone, it would sound like this."