Beyer M160 Pair on an Upright Piano?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

recall
alignin' 24-trk

Beyer M160 Pair on an Upright Piano?

Post by recall » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:02 am

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to use a pair of Beyer M160's on an upright piano recording?

I have a job at the end of the month where we are going for a vocal/piano live recording setup.

I usually record Upright Piano with a pair of SDC at the back of the piano facing the soundboard, supplemented by either a centre dynamic 'poke' mic or a mic somehwere on the hammers for accent depending on the song.

This works fine though I'm wondering whether setting up a pair of M160's to mix and match and get a bit more girth to the sound would be cool.

The upright I'm recording isn't amazing sounding and needed a bit of eq last time to project a full sound.

I can get a pair of M160 on rental pretty reasnoably priced for a week. 4038's are abit more expensive and the fig8 pattern may not flatter the room we are recording in.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,

iwan

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:49 am

I usually find uprights too dark so I tend to favour bright mics when I'm recording one. Depending on the piano the Beyers might be nice on the soundboard matched with something bright on the front.
Lately I've been using a single RE15 (or D19) on the back and a Blue Baby Bottle on the front (in the middle of the foot panel). If I need even more treble I'll add an Altec Salt Shaker to the mix.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm sure they would sound good there..great mics..though theoretically they will pick up a little from behind too not unlike fig of 8 pattern though in my experience they take the room out really really well so goes to show specs and charts LIE..

different sound from sdc for sure and I'd agree they'd add body and presence or "girth"

but if you gotta pay extra out of your own pocket :?

i would not..because you can make player happy with sdc surely

kristofer harris
audio school

Post by kristofer harris » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:35 pm

I'd be cautious of using M160's on an upright unless I wanted to set myself up for capturing something that sounded particularly overcast. They are indeed excellent microphones.. and often more flattering than SDC's on less than amazing instruments.

You may just want to tinker around with the positioning of your regular setup a little - until you no longer need 'a bit of EQ' to get where you want to be.
breakfast is most important

http://www.kristoferharris.co.uk

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:55 pm

I'd agree with that sentiment..actually put up a 160 on an acoustic guitar today and it was too overcast for the particular mix..

mn412
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mn412 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:43 pm

To answer your question, no I haven't ever used them on piano. I have used 57s plenty of times and have had nice results. Both behind facing sound board as you decribe but also pointed at strings. I love m160s? a lot and might always pick them over 57s except for possibly snare and upright piano.