Protools HD A/D-D/A Advice...your thoughts?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ivanovich
gettin' sounds

Protools HD A/D-D/A Advice...your thoughts?

Post by ivanovich » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:52 am

So I've been using my HD2 for a while and I like it. I thought about upgrading to the new systems but couldn't even entertain the idea of an HDX system--even deep in the land of fantasy mode. I looked into the Native system and that too proved to be way too expensive. So I'm sticking with HD for the moment.

My question is about conversion. In the past I used to have 16outs and 8ins via a 192 and a Motu 2408mkIII clocked by a Big Ben. Recently I've been working in the box mostly because of my lacking mixer.
Because I started with a Mx-5050 I have accumulated a lot of outboard gear that I'd still like to use in the box as inserts. SO right now I can only do 8 mono inserts-but realistically 6mono because I monitor off of 1-2.

I added a second 192(they're fairly cheap nowadays) to get a total of 16-io. I would like to up the i/o to 24 and eventually to 32. So the question is:

What would be the best way to approach this IO expansion?

I mostly only work in 24/44.1, rarely 48k. If I wanted to expand cheaply yet with decent sound, it seems that the Lucid 8824 is a good option. They can be had in the $$$ as opposed to the Lucid 88192 which is in the $$$$ range. Are there any other boxes in the $$$ range that you would recommend?

A friend back in the day had a Honda Accord and he spent A LOT of money in pimping it out. I thought to myself, why didn't he just get a Porche or something? He spent about the same amount of money on it....
And this is what I'm trying to avoid. To me the Porsche would be a Symphony with 32IO's. Or a Bomber system etc. etc.

So again, what would you guys think is the best way to expand the IO's?

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Ivan

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:58 pm

EvilBog is the way to go for used HD 1st generation interfaces.

You can also get a lot of analog IO and digital IO cards on the cheap there.

Just make sure whom you buy from has plenty of good feedback, and a DOA guarantee.

Cheers

PS I also have a HD2 with two 192s running with a SYNC clocking them together and for sMPTE duties. I have 24 channels in and out analog, plus the two digital cards, for a total of 32 io if I need it.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:32 am

It's a little unclear what you have now, but I agree with the next guy, just buy the cards and max out your 192's. Each 192 can do 16 analog IO. That would be easier than interconnecting other stuff.

ivanovich
gettin' sounds

Post by ivanovich » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:21 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting another 192 for a total of 16io's. From the research I've done, I can put in another set of AD/DA cards(on the two different chassis's) for a total of 24io's. I don't think I can replace the digital cards on the two 192's and replace them with AD/DA cards for a theorized ideal 32io's like you can with the new Avid boxes.
Am I going to have issues running another pair of AD/DA cards on two separate 192's? I think it should work fine, just trying to feel it out before dropping some $$$.

So whats a converter that you guys would recommend for those last 8 channels that would hook up to the digital cards on the 192's?

Thanks again for the input guys!

brew: simplified setup old and new:

old: 192-8ins/outs + a motu 2408 for an additional 8 outputs (16outputs/8inputs)
now: 2x 192's-16i/o

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:08 pm

ivanovich wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting another 192 for a total of 16io's. From the research I've done, I can put in another set of AD/DA cards(on the two different chassis's) for a total of 24io's. I don't think I can replace the digital cards on the two 192's and replace them with AD/DA cards for a theorized ideal 32io's like you can with the new Avid boxes.
Am I going to have issues running another pair of AD/DA cards on two separate 192's? I think it should work fine, just trying to feel it out before dropping some $$$.

So whats a converter that you guys would recommend for those last 8 channels that would hook up to the digital cards on the 192's?

Thanks again for the input guys!

brew: simplified setup old and new:

old: 192-8ins/outs + a motu 2408 for an additional 8 outputs (16outputs/8inputs)
now: 2x 192's-16i/o
If you still need more IO than the 24 you can get with two fully carded 192s, you need to look at your budget, and get converters that are close to the performance of the 192s, so everything matches up nicely.

Remember to try to use AES digital IO, so you can have the higher sample rates with the same amount of channels, and no resampling or other workarounds.

With ADAT lightpipe, you end up either not getting as many channels, or having to reconvert a lower sample rate automatically within the 192 digital card.

Cheers

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:07 am

ivanovich wrote:I ended up getting another 192 for a total of 16io's. From the research I've done, I can put in another set of AD/DA cards(on the two different chassis's) for a total of 24io's. I don't think I can replace the digital cards on the two 192's and replace them with AD/DA cards for a theorized ideal 32io's like you can with the new Avid boxes.
Each 192 can do 16 analog IO. So I'd stuff the one and buy more cards for the other.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:28 pm

brew wrote:
ivanovich wrote:I ended up getting another 192 for a total of 16io's. From the research I've done, I can put in another set of AD/DA cards(on the two different chassis's) for a total of 24io's. I don't think I can replace the digital cards on the two 192's and replace them with AD/DA cards for a theorized ideal 32io's like you can with the new Avid boxes.
Each 192 can do 16 analog IO. So I'd stuff the one and buy more cards for the other.
I believe this is only true for the new Avid 192's, not the previous Digidesign 192's. I'm looking into moving to an older HD2 system, upgrading from from a Mix Plus system so I've been looking into this as well.

For the older 192's, STOCK, each one comes stock with 8 analog ins, 8 analog outs, and the digital card. The forth card bay is left empty. You cannot remove the digital card. So, if you have 2 digidesign 192's, you'll need to buy an additional analog A/D card for one 192's 4th bay and an additional analog D/A card for the other 192's fourth bay. Therefore, one 192 will have 16 analog Ins and 8 analog OUTs (not counting digital options) and the other 192 will have 8 analog INs and 16 analog OUTs (not counting the digital options. For a total of 24 analog ins and outs between your two Digidesign 192's.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote: If you still need more IO than the 24 you can get with two fully carded 192s,
What Nick said.. is what I'm saying above. Two FULLY CARDED Digidesign 192's will give you 24 analog in/out.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:32 pm

ivanovich wrote:Hey guys,

BINGO. You got it.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:37 am

Good.

Yes, the older 192 HD hardware can do this:

3 analog cards of ANY type. ALL IN, ALL OUT, or any combination thereof.

1 Digital IO card.
The digital card slot ONLY takes digital conversion cards on these models.

Cheers