UAD Plug-ins w/ Preamp Circuit Modeling.... WHY?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

UAD Plug-ins w/ Preamp Circuit Modeling.... WHY?

Post by alexdingley » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:41 pm

So, I just bought a UAD2 system... and it will be here in a few days.

I'm excited to jump into this world, but I'm not sure exactly which plug-ins I'll be buying. I got the "custom" bundle, so I get to pick 3 units from the UAD library, and I'm looking for some input. (yes, I see what I did there)

I'm using Apogee in/out and a Toft console... which I love.

What is the benefit of the handful of UAD channel strip plug-ins that offer a "preamp" feature in the circuit modeling? I mean, I'm only going to be effecting line-level recorded signals with these instances... So, is it just something you'd use for a little overdrive & extra harmonics?

Do people end up recording things a little quieter than they normally would... just so they can juice-up the signal with a UAD Neve 1073 preamp-model? I want some great EQ & Compression for my DAW... maybe an EMT plate, but I'm just unsure of what channel-strip / EQ / Dynamics plug-ins will give me the most love... with the least unused features.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:50 pm

I can only point out which plug ins I have of theirs which I use all the time.

Ampex ATR-102 tape emulation is stellar. I used to mix down to the real thing, and still have the reference CDs from those times for comparison. This is a very nice plugin for the master buss.

Pultec EQs. Very nice job they did emulating these. You can really give more dimensionality to the mixes when using these EQs.

La2 collection and 1176 collection. What can I say, it's compressor World. Love all of the versions.

Their delays like the roland RE20 and EP-34 Tape Echo, etc. nice effects.

And of course, the EMT plate and EMT250 digital reverb. Delicious.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

UAD2

Post by alexdingley » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:16 am

Thanks for the info! I'm really eager to look at the ATR emulation... I also used to have a 102 in real-life, and I miss those days.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:45 pm

If you're using in the box virtual instruments or you use a virtual amplifier plug-in then you might want to imitate a mic preamp after that. You could use it to change the sound in different ways, or to boost something you recorded too quietly.

I seem to recall the main guitar part for Led Zeppelin's Black Dog was recorded straight from the guitar run into three channels on the board in series, the first two cranked to get the overdrive. So you could do something crazy like that.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Gotcha...

Post by alexdingley » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:02 pm

I kinda figured it was more for that purpose? the "well, when you wanna overdrive it a certain way?" kinda angle.

So, realistically you're shopping for those channels to get the Neve/Harrison/etc EQ model, and the preamp knob is just icing on the cake.

I'm down with that? just wanted to make sure I know what's what before I pick my 3 bundled plug-ins.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:45 am

With an Apollo you can actually use it as the pre-amp on record.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Unison Mode

Post by alexdingley » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:40 am

Yeah... i now understand that Unison feature. Pretty great.

I ended up getting the Neve 1073, the API vision strip, the emt140, and then buying the La-2a collection. So far, I'm in love.