Arrangement Techniques

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:43 pm

Just a simple little thought-process starter of a book that doesn't get too heavy into any one aspech like harmony, note for note polyphony/counterpoint, sound design, production techniques, or orchestration; just basic concepts that can lead you further into the appropriate study areas. I enjoyed it a lot when I was studying this stuff because it uses real world examples from popular bands that people know (Beatles, U2, etc., etc.). It was by Billboard Books (not sure if it's still in-print); called "Rock Arranging."

GJ

PS-- I guess it is out there fairly cheap now-days: https://www.google.com/search?site=&sou ... +arranging
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:42 am

I don't have any "tried and true" techniques or a system of arranging. Now that I think about it, usually I have an idea for the arrangement or at least the vibe of the song before I start recording, as opposed to throwing down some guitar/vocals and asking "now what?" Well I have done that too I suppose...

But if I write a song that I feel like it's an energetic rocker, I would start thinking of driving percussion and working with a fuller freq. range; if it's a contemplative tune I will start leaning towards rounder softer sounds and go much more sparse on the arrangement/playing.

Songs are like characters in a book. You have to spend some time with them and once you get to know them, it will become obvious what those characters would and wouldn't do, what they would say and wouldn't say.

Keep at it and you'll build up that intuition. Maybe someday I will too! :)