Casio CTK-2400 Cheapest Sampling Keyboard?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Casio CTK-2400 Cheapest Sampling Keyboard?

Post by Drone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:32 pm

I've got a band, some friends, coming in in a couple of weeks, and I feel they absolutely have to have something that they can mess with their voice with in real time. I haven't looked at sampling keyboards since the SK-1 came out, but a quick google brought up the CTK-2400 as a likely contender.

Anyone have any experience with it, or would offer up a cheaper alternative?
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:22 am

If you need something new...then probably. That ctk 2400 is supposed to be Casios modern homage to the sk1...I haven't used it though...since I have a big shelf in my basement full of those old sk series keyboards.

Alternatively, you may look at something like a Kaoss pad, iphone/iPad apps, or plugins...maybe even a looper pedal.

For the most part, anything else you find will be older or a lot more expensive. You might browse your local Craigslist for fun...old casio sk series, ensoniq eps, Kaoss pads, etc...

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:50 am

I thought Kaoss pads were just effects, do they sample?

Our craigslist is chockful of guitar blues tweakers.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:11 am

Some of the Kaoss pads do sample, even the cheap ones, IIRC...I don't know which models specifically since there are probably dozens of variations.

A craigslist full of guitar players makes it easier to pick up good keyboard deals, IMHO...because they don't sell... But it's not likely you'll find much worthwhile under the price of the ctk 2400...except maybe a Kaoss pad.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:02 am

What it generally means is nothing but overpriced boutique boost pedals, plethoras of questionable guitar gear, and nothing much of interest. People round here ask close to, or more, than the new price for their used gear :cry:

I'll keep an eye out for a used Kaoss pad then, that might be more intuitive than a keyboard for them. I do have an iPad, bit nervous about turning it loose in the studio, what apps should I be looking at?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:44 am

My CL is mostly flooded with overpriced band instruments, PA gear, and yes...guitar gear priced as new. But every once in awhile I've snagged some keyboard steals...

I don't have any specific iPad sampling app recommendations, it really depends on what your exact goal is. However I typed in sampler in the App Store and there were many results that looked like they would function at least as well as a basic Casio...ranging from free to $15. The only thing similar I have used on iPad is loopy, which is pretty cool like a looper pedal and cheap, but it doesn't really transpose up and down a keyboard so that's probably not what you are looking for.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:42 pm

Wow. Pre-owned gear is pretty pricey on Uranus (bit-doom-bah!!!)...

But seriously folks, I'm a big fan of the Korg Kaoss line. If you can find one that meets your needs, awesome. But if you decide to cheap-out and you're looking for decent sampling power for the iPad, iPod, or iPhone, I highly recommend taking a look at SampleToy. It's quite a nifty little program that gives you a lot of manipulating options once you capture your sample. And of course, it has the advantage of having the intuitive, inter-active interface approach that makes all i-devices what they are. I forget what the app costs, but it's not very expensive for something we could only have dreamed of in the 80's and 90's (now available in your pocket).

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Kaos pad will allow you to do a loop, but that's it. So if you just need to sample a phrase and mess with it they are great for that. I'm not sure if they are shipping yet, but the Korg Volca sampler looks pretty cool. You have to import samples from an iOS device though. You might also want to add the Korg Microsampler to your searches.

Actually you should definitely check out the new Koass pad 2S. It looks really cool for this kind of thing.