Reccomend litte 10 watt amp for Vidsonix Ghost transducer?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Reccomend litte 10 watt amp for Vidsonix Ghost transducer?

Post by honkyjonk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:23 pm

I finally got my plate reverb up and going. It's an old Ecoplate II. I screwed around with the amp for a long time, not succeeding in resurrecting it. I blew the voice coil in the driver too, and was never able to get a new one straight again afterwards. So I was looking for some replacements on both the input and the output.

On the driver side I have the Vidsonix Ghost not mounted to anything but the screw that it is exciting which is mounted to the plate. I don't know if this is the best way to do it though.

Also, I have a Hafler P3000 amp that is driving it, which is way too much power maybe. So, that's why I posted this. I'm looking for ideas for a cheapo amp for the Ghost. Preferably one that has some eq on it.
Also, I would be feeding it with a 600 ohm output from the aux send on my board.

????
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:07 pm

Since you're posting in the DIY forum, I assume you're looking for a kit of some sort?

There's this guy:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9612

And then these guys, in incremental wattage from 0.5 to 40:
http://www.canakit.com/audio-amplifiers

Throw a Baxandall in front for some tone control.

Less DIY, there are assorted Lepai/sonicImpact/tripath/monoprice/class-t amps around from about $30 on up. Some of the Lepai's have tone controls onboard.

I use an old TOA paging amp...significant overkill for the application...

For mounting my driver, I have a bracket made of unistrut that reaches into the plate. The driver is mounted with little bungee cords, with some foam isolating it from the arm.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."