Snake length?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

timpratt
audio school graduate

Snake length?

Post by timpratt » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:08 pm

I'm ordering new fan snakes for adding more patchbays. Getting them through Seismic Audio, who seem to have good bang for the buck cabling that has nice gold tipped ends which are easy to fix or modify (ie replace XLR-M end to XLR-F, etc).

Most of my cabling only needs to be 3-5ft, but I am wondering about moving equipment in the future, and adding more equipment as well. My question is should I get the 5ft cabling, or spend the extra $5-9 and get 10ft cables. Will there be a drastic loss in signal quality? Again, this isn't Mogami, but I know every little "edge" helps in squeezing out the best in audio.

What would you do? Anyone ever have to deal with this?

Thank you for the help!
Tim Pratt

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:40 am

I don't think you'd be able to notice any effect, even with 600ohm outputs. But, it's not hard to calculate if you can find a specification for the cable's capacitance.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:28 am

Seems kinda like a personal question ...

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:23 am

i would get the extra length. In my experience, as soon as you get all your cabling just right and nice and neat, you find you need to move something , and every cable is about a foot too short.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:01 am

Yes, err on the side of more than you need. Tough to make them longer, easy to zip tie up any excess.

You won't run into any signal loss until you start hitting 100+ foot lengths.

The mogami name doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the quality of the wire, just the jacket.

Plenty of wire hits the same quality benchmarks. Mogami is just a proprietary jacketing material that's easy to cut. Nothing magic in their wire.