Covering up existing garage windows

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cprescott1972
audio school graduate

Covering up existing garage windows

Post by cprescott1972 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:17 pm

Hello!
It was recommended to me that I should cover up my existing insulated garage windows. I'm building a room within a room style studio in my garage and I'm abandoning any hope of having natural light in there for the benefit of more sound insulation.
Originally I was intending to just cover up the windows from the inside with a couple layers of drywall to create a solid outer leaf. Then it was suggested that the windows may warp and crack due to heat over time.
Has anyone here experienced something like this? I'm in Coastal San Diego so we never get anything too extreme. I'm guessing that the window warping and/cracking may not be an issue here?

Any opinions or thoughts on this?
Thanks!

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:39 am

I don't think the windows will warp. Is the exterior window vinyl?

You should be able to add another window assembly to your room/in/room situation and not have too much stc loss. Make a tunnel from inside to outside window...

cprescott1972
audio school graduate

Post by cprescott1972 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:42 am

Yeah, double paned vinyl windows. I'd prefer to leave them in and just beef them up from the inside to make the outer leaf. Maybe a couple layers of drywall right up on the inside of the window?
The natural light would be nice but I'm worried about getting dust in there on the window over time and be stuck looking at it for all eternity. Thanks for the input.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:32 am

I've vacated windows in the past with black painted Sheetrock facing the outside. It gives a clean look.... Never had a problem with it.

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:31 am

I just finished a garage build just like yours, with 2 sets of windows. I made my own windows for the internal wall out of 1/2 glass panes. The existing garage windows were single hung vinyl so the top half is fixed. So I made the top half of my windows fixed in place as well. The bottom half of my windows is attached to the top half with a piano hinge, and swings up. So I get light, as well as functioning opening windows. Which is very nice on nice days, which in San Diego is everyday...

Sound leak is not an issue. Don't cover up the widows, natural light is invaluable.

I'll try to post pictures.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

cprescott1972
audio school graduate

Post by cprescott1972 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:31 pm

Cool idea. I'd love to see pics if you have them handy.
I'm struggling with the "what is easiest" vs. "what is the best for comfort" vs what is the best for soundproofing"
It's a tough one!

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:16 pm

sorry it took me 2 months to post this photo.

http://flightfeathers.net/wp-content/up ... 141649.jpg
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

cprescott1972
audio school graduate

Post by cprescott1972 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:22 pm

Cool! Great idea. I can definitely see how you wouldn't want to lose all that nice natural light. Thanks for posting!