ISRC codes formatting - is track 1 always 01?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

ISRC codes formatting - is track 1 always 01?

Post by joninc » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:24 am

i have a cd master to make for an artist and the end of his ISRC codes start at 03 and go chronologically up - that's the first time i've seen that. in the past other cds always
had an ISRC code that corresponded to the track listing - so track 1 would always end in 01.

does anyone know if that is required?

Do they need to correspond to the same number or is it just a chronology that's important?
the new rules : there are no rules

Teacher's Pet
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Teacher's Pet » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:11 pm

My understanding is that ISRCs must remain married to the track, but they don't denote sequence or running order or anything. The year is in there, but that's really it.

Sometimes we assign ISRCs prior to sequencing and as a result, the codes will end up out of order on the album. It's convenient when they are all sequential/consecutive, but not required.

And most of our albums don't begin with 01 numbers. The new one picks up where the old one left off, etc.

I'm not an expert, but I do handle this stuff daily. When it became my responsibility I just read about ISRCs on Wikipedia (and other sites I don't remember.)

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:11 pm

just use the codes you were given. they don't have to start at 01. in this case, most likely your artist already put out a single or two, and those songs have the 01 and 02 isrcs.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:44 pm

ISRCs are unique serial numbers assigned by a label or content provider to the artist's work.

As such, when you create an album, typically you will get sequential serial numbers.

The numbering scheme ALWAYS is incremental for the artist. Once you put out a single, that one with the 01 at the end simply becomes the artists' first release.

And it goes up from there, without being able to change it, as this ISRC has nothing to do with whether a song recording is part of an album or something else.

And more than one ISRC code can be assigned to the same song, AS LONG as it is released in a different package, say a single song that then becomes part of a COMPILATION CD. The compilation CD might end up with a different ISRC.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.