Current sale for Protools 10/11

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sammigz
alignin' 24-trk

Current sale for Protools 10/11

Post by Sammigz » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:44 am

Looking for advice on the $329 sale on AudioDeluxe for PT 10/11 right now.

I currently use PC/Studio One Pro, and honestly have NO complaints with it. I like it a lot actually. However, I am trying to build a studio right now to a legit business and hope to make this my living eventually, and know PT is the industry standard, so I have a feeling deep down at SOME point I'm gonna have to make the jump to MAC/PT. So I wanted to take advantage of this low low price for 10/11 before having to pay full pop for 12 eventually. I hear 329 is an INCREDIBLE deal. Then I'll just use a PC/PT setup until I can get a MAC.

Am I being stupid here and wasting money?
I feel like I'm gonna possibly get myself into a whole new world of frustration. And mainly because it is the "industry standard". I'm very comfortable with Studio One and love the workflow, support etc. But if the switch is inevitable, do I make the jump now and SAVE $? And I feel sort-a ridiculous purchasing and making a move like this because it has been deemed the "industry standard".

Thoughts?
HP s5-1110, Windows 7, Intel core i5-2500k CPU@303GHz, 8GB, 64 bit OS-
StudioOne Pro 2.6, Tascam FW1884 & FE8, Focusrite MKII Dynamic, Presonus Monitor Station, Oxygen49-
M-Audio BX5a's, Equator D8's, Audio-Technica ATH-M50's-

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:12 am

Well if It makes a difference I think you get a free upgrade to PT12 when that comes out too... at least I do with my purchase of the PT11 upgrade late last year. Which FYI updates themselves are often $299+... (Though late last year dropped to $199)

I think $329 is as good of a deal as you're ever going to get, so if you plan on making the switch, then now is a good time.

Whether or not you need it though? I mean it is very handy for taking sessions from other studios and/or taking them to other studios...

Sammigz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Sammigz » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:39 am

kslight wrote:I think $329 is as good of a deal as you're ever going to get, so if you plan on making the switch, then now is a good time.

Whether or not you need it though? I mean it is very handy for taking sessions from other studios and/or taking them to other studios...
That's my dilemma. I feel like I'm about to drop $300 JUST because it's the standard. And IF I ever want to transfer files, that will make it easier. Seems silly to switch over just for that.

I'm just starting out [business wise], I have all the gear, websites/ads are up, and I'm always learning, just need the talent! So I really don't have any plans of having to transfer files between studios too much, maybe for some pro mastering, but I wouldn't have to send the stems for that right? I plan on doing all the tracking, mixing and 'poor mans' mastering. So would it really be THAT beneficial to switch, but if I don't pick it up for this price [and business works out] and I end up paying 3x as much down the road, I'll kick myself. AHHHH I HATE THESE DECISIONS :?
HP s5-1110, Windows 7, Intel core i5-2500k CPU@303GHz, 8GB, 64 bit OS-
StudioOne Pro 2.6, Tascam FW1884 & FE8, Focusrite MKII Dynamic, Presonus Monitor Station, Oxygen49-
M-Audio BX5a's, Equator D8's, Audio-Technica ATH-M50's-

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:53 am

If you're happy with your current daw and don't care about session compatibility, then maybe hold off. I've never used your daw so I can't say for sure what other benefits there would be to switching.

Otoh, you could always buy it now while the price is good (normally $700), and if you hate it, sell it down the road. I personally think that as a business, just being able to open one clients native files and giving them proper sessions to take home could pay for the cost of the license. Many people use Pro Tools at home as well. What if someone showed up with a day or more booked and said "this is all I have" and you can't open it? I guess you're sending them to your competition.

I agree though that if you never plan on taking outside engineered work or sending it to another facility that you're fine using whatever daw you are comfortable with.

I don't know what your business is like, but I would simply not have the projects I do have if I didn't run Pro Tools, because that's what my clients are using and expect to see and it benefits both of us to be on the same page and having easy session compatibility spanning years at a time, but I only do private work for a few major clients part time versus every clown off the street.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi Sammings,

Yes, if you are going to cater to the public, absolutely do get Pro Tools.

It is the industry standard, and without it, you will have a harder time with transfers / conversions / etc.

If you are only going to buy the "regular" Pro Tools, i.e. not the HD expensive version, then either buy that deal, or find one with hardware already included. Sometimes you can get a good deal into Pro Tools land that way.

The good thing is that now updates are 200 bucks, and give you a long time of a "subscription" service, with free updates as long as the update is current. AVID are changing over to a subscription model, like Adobe, and Waves.

I use Waves, and do not mind the 200 bucks yearly subscription, as I get IMMEDIATE support if one of their plug ins causes trouble, and also I get most of their new plug ins free when they come out, which pays back for the subscription pretty much with one or two plug ins.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.