Is It Bad To Sound Different?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:22 am

Man, almost the last thing I want from studio speakers is a narrow sweet spot. All of the speakers I've mentioned have pretty great side-to-side dispersion, which is ideal for moving around a console or adjusting equipment in the rack.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:29 am

cgarges wrote:Man, almost the last thing I want from studio speakers is a narrow sweet spot. All of the speakers I've mentioned have pretty great side-to-side dispersion, which is ideal for moving around a console or adjusting equipment in the rack.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, but the wider dispersion = more problems with room reflections, so it's a tradeoff.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:48 am

That's a bit "cart before the horse" in my opinion. Plus, it doesn't seem to bother guys like Greg Calbi. I suppose that if your room has one tiny little sweet spot at which everything magical happens and totally translates into the outside world from that one little spot, then yes, I can see how extremely directional speakers could be advantageous, so long as you listen from that one little spot and don't make any judgments otherwise.

Still, I'd rather mix on good speakers that translates well than to get caught up in semantics about how something is labeled for sales purposes. At some point, you just have to figure out what works.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:34 pm

Well, I still hope he buys some real monitors....