Can a garden variety PC laptop run ProTools?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Can a garden variety PC laptop run ProTools?

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:00 am

I haven't used ProTools on my own computer since Mac OS 9. So I don't know the ins and outs any more.

A friend wants to buy it for a project he's working on and he's got just a normal, $500ish Asus laptop. It's not on the "avid certified" list. He's on a very tight budget and doesn't want to waste money on software that won't work. I don't know what he's using for an interface, I think maybe a Zoom portable recorder that he's going to import Wavs from. This is a documentary project with recorded interviews, not music.

Here's the exact laptop.

ASUS K550CA-RS51T 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop

Can he edit audio in Protools on this thing?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:09 pm

Won't break any speed records, or be able to concurrently run multiple VIs and dozens of effects...but it should run well enough for basic editing and such, depending on his video sizes and formats too I guess. Following best practices of course...Avid has a guide for optimization.. Definitely check out Avid's minumum spec and if they have demo he can download though.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:40 am

in most cases it will probably function. I have run Pro Tools 7 and 8 on a Dell 5150 (Windows XP) with an internal drive (which was probably even a 5400 RPM SATA). Old slow system but I was able to record 16 tracks from a Digi 002r no problem. now for editing and loading up a lot of plugins it would probably fall over pretty quick.

I now have a newer Dell (E6410) running Win7 for the live rig and it works fine too. I haven't tried any newer versions of PT on it though since it did what I needed (hit record...). I transfer the tracks to a more powerful system for mixing/editing.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Sun May 24, 2015 1:49 pm

I do my mobile recording on a 2009 Lenovo T-61 running Win 7 Pro and PT11. I can't imagine that there would be a problem with that laptop.
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron