graphic eq on mix bus?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hollowidolrec
audio school

graphic eq on mix bus?

Post by hollowidolrec » Mon May 04, 2015 2:15 pm

anyone use a graphic eq instead of a parametric eq on mix bus? any model or brands in particular?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon May 04, 2015 2:53 pm

I'd make sure I was really, really, really confident in the sound and accuracy of my mix room before I started EQing the 2 mix. Even then I'd rather leave the overall EQ for the mastering engineer and address EQ in the mix on track by track basis.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri May 15, 2015 1:00 pm

I use eq on my mix bus all the time :) but our listening environment is pretty damn good and I'm extremely comfortable with it. No reason not to give it a shot!

high quality stereo graphic eqs are hard to come by. There's a thread all about graphic EQ and what it does well (and poorly, and differently) over on GS right now.

I use our Aengus EQs all over the place, but I don't think I've ever tried them on the mix bus. I might now though...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu May 28, 2015 10:13 pm

I've used my Sphere graphics on the mix buss a couple of times. It was kind of awesome when it was the right thing. Usually, if I'm doing any equalization on the mix buss, I'm using one of my Sontecs. Occasionally, I'll use an API 550A.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC