Mixing Tips/Tricks for Direct Acoustic Guitar

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri May 29, 2015 11:06 am

Man, I hate the sound of direct (only) acoustic guitar (or electric, for that matter).

Man, I love you guys!

This is exactly what I was going to say:

>>>>the dirtiest trick of all - have someone else play it exactly the same<<<<

And this, is priceless (!!!!):

++++Reamp through a small speaker pressed against the back of an acoustic guitar, then mic the front?++++

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sun May 31, 2015 3:36 pm

Magnetic Services wrote:Reamp through a small speaker pressed against the back of an acoustic guitar, then mic the front?
I haven't actually done this myself, but I imagine one of those small monitor speakers with the rubbery surround that juts out from the front of the box would work well; with efficient energy transfer.

But to be fair, great records have been made with acoustic pickups! (probably mixed in with mics). Kaki King and California Guitar Trio come to mind.

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:02 am

I don't have a solution, but I just wanted to say how glad I am to be reading this thread. I think I'm the only musician in my circle of friends who thinks acoustic guitar pickups sound shitty. Of course, they're great to have in a live situation, but they really sound awful and I can't imagine why someone would want to record with one.