Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Reddit AMA with Kinny Landrum about the music of Twin Peaks

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:24 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/

Monday June 8, 2015 at 1PM

My friend James who plays sax on my record Andrew Dice Clay Movie - Six Songs has a father who has played synth on the music of Twin Peaks, etc. He will be doing a reddit AMA on Monday and invites the public to ask any questions. I figure I'd post it here because the recording techniques have been of interest in some of the other forums and now your questions can get answered directly from the source. Enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kinny Landrum is a composer, arranger, producer and keyboardist who has worked with such unusually diverse people as Leonard Bernstein, The Meters, Carly Simon, Jimmy Cliff and David Lynch. He was the synthesist on the seminal TV show "Twin Peaks", which won a Grammy Award. He has scored a number of feature films including "A Touch Of Fate" starring Teri Hatcher and "The Only Witness," both of which played on Lifetime, as well as the festival favorite "Hotel Lobby". Kinny was nominated for an Emmy Award for his score to "Living The Story: The Civil Rights Movement in Kentucky" and has written the score for "The Fort Fisher Hermit" which is now available on Youtube.

Kinny wrote the orchestrations for the Broadway show "In My Life". His songs appear on albums by such artists as John Whelan and Francine Reed. He has produced records with Joe Cerisano and written jingles for clients such as Citizen Watches, Coca-Cola, Ford and Alka-Seltzer. He has served as the chairman of the arranging committee for the Grammy Awards at the New York chapter of NARAS. And he studied with Oscar-winning composer John Corigliano while earning his Master's Degree in Music.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:18 pm

That reminds me of this fun video. I guess Angelo Badalament is the composer and the guy you're talking about played the synth part? Hmmmm.

Anyway, it's pretty entertaining: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwvSFOEfHJE
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:15 am

this is neat...I feel like the music always sets the tone in Lynch's movies.

I would just like to hear how the process evolves from concept to excecution..since it seems Lynch always has that in mind...probably a better question for Angelo...but it would be interesting to hear a musicians take on it.

how about: did Lynch ever pop his head in and tell some bizzare anecdote of how to convey the emotion of a music piece?

sorry...don't know much about his other projects...but I'm sure he's used to that.