cloning C dive in Win7 - bad idea?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

cloning C dive in Win7 - bad idea?

Post by joninc » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:27 pm

My C drive on my PC is maxing out. It's at 5% free which I know is not good although it has been running stably for months at about this same capacity.

It's a Samsung SSD drive and they were expensive when I got this computer made so I went with a 120 gb drive.

All my data from sessions and samples and email and music and everything that eats up space lives on other internal drives so I had hoped 120 gb would be sufficient to run Cubase and a few other apps.

It's not.

SO - i can't make any more free space on the C drive and i had a breather today between proects so I bought a larger SSD drive and cloned the C drive to it

Here's the problem - I am now getting weird pops and clicks on the audio. It's putting them in randomly in different spots each time that I print the mix (OTB summing back into PC via Radar converters and ADAT optical. all clocked to radar wordclock) so it seems like clocking problems.

Is this a known bad idea? Cloning a C drive?

Any windows gurus out there that can help?
the new rules : there are no rules

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:22 am

Hi Jon,

Did you use Carbon Copy Cloner, or some other software that clones hard drive data EXACTLY? Some actually do not do this properly.

Secondly, clicks and pops in audio may be related to corrupt audio device drivers, or to your actual audio drives needing TLC.

Do you regularly defragment your audio hard drives? I use iDefrag.. but there are many other utilities out there that can do this. This helps in many ways, by finding and blocking "bad blocks" on a hard drive, which helps stability, by reconnecting contiguous audio files so your DAW can read them faster and better, and by keeping the audio drive defragmented, you also prolong its lifetime.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:18 pm

Acronis true image is the program that was used to clone

I don't think the issue is with my audio drives. They have worked flawlessly for the past year but it's a new problem stemming from this new C drive.
the new rules : there are no rules

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:48 pm

Well can you still boot off of your old drive for testing? If that works normally then I would reformat and reload the new drive.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:55 am

you might also try doing a complete ITB mix to see if that works (to rule out a OTB summing and clocking issue).

check any DAW buffer settings also to make sure they didn't get reset when you swapped drives.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com