Treatment for weird mix position

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Treatment for weird mix position

Post by phantom power » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:42 pm

I have a converted garage that's 11'W x 19'L with a ceiling that come to a 13' peak. There is a loft that runs the length of the room and is 8' high. The rest of the room is open to the ceiling.

My mix position is at one of the 11' sides and my R monitor sits under the loft while the L speaker under the open area. I realize this is probably hard to imagine, so I'll try to get a Sketchup drawing together and post it.

Any ideas of how to treat this area?

Thanks
-AE

[/b]

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:25 pm

The main thing is to find the reflection points and treat them with thick absorption. In asymmetrical room there will be reflection points in different places for different speakers. Use the HOW section for details on how to do the mirror trick:

http://realtraps.com/rfz.htm

Also, bass traps. Since the room is asymmetrical you can use this listening test to find where the bass builds up in your room, so you can place the traps well:

http://realtraps.com/lf-noise.htm

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:56 am

I'd look at the space as a whole, keeping in mind that acoustic treatment, like sound isolation methods, are most effective when viewed as a system.

If your space is unconventional, you'll likely need some unconventional solutions....I'd look into fuzzmeasure by rogue amoeba and start by doing a series of sweeps of your space.

Once you've got an idea of what your acoustic problems are....it'll be much easier to start tackling them.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:42 pm

I just have this picture of you standing on one leg ...

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.