vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:34 pm

Awesome stuff, shred. I love the Partridge Family-with-Obi; it's a great look.

I don't know how you slipped that laser turntable passed me, but that looks incredible. There are very few things that I would spend $15,000 on (if I ever had $15,000, at any one time), but that might be one of them...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:21 pm

Thanks Gregg-San. I haven't come across one of those laser-tables in the flesh yet, but a couple stereo showrooms I stopped by were very nice.

Found a used copy of Black's bonus disc version of Teenager.
(Daughter got the arcade bunny-plushy on her third try with the robot arm.)

Last edited by shedshrine on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:08 am

Found a couple today in Shimokitazawa.

This looked interesting. Pressed in Sweden. 5$
(Cover reminds of "man or astroman" album Project infinity)

No such bargain for this one however..
"First UK press double album in gold glitter vinyl. 1996 duophonic."

Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:49 am

You mean in Japan they make robot-arm games that you actually have a chance of winning (at)??*

Incredible...

* Terrible sentence construction, but you get the idea, yes?

GJ
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:41 am

By the third try she just had to push it in the drop box. :)

You end up aquiring "cute" stuff when you're here, it just happens.
I.e, I was just going to get the bunny at the turntable button, and ended up getting an almost complete set of these little robot monster guys.

We head home tomorrow night.
Last edited by shedshrine on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:07 am

Manufacturers struggling to keep up with the resurgence in vinyl records

The Brazilian Bus Magnate Who?s Buying Up All the World?s Vinyl Records
Last edited by shedshrine on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:41 pm

One of my favorite movies early on was 1982's Bladerunner. Computer graphics were in their infancy, so sci fi meant painted mural backdrops and various scaled physical props.
______

"Today’s critics laud Blade Runner as one of the greatest, most singular visions of sci-fi filmmaking, but its original 1982 release was both a box office flop and a critical dud (Siskel & Ebert gave it “two thumbs down”). Much of that initial derision, it turns out, can be placed at the feet of Warner Bros. interference during the editing process, which resulted in a muddled “theatrical cut” complete with (among many other woes) cheesy voice-overs, confusing plot progression, and an unearned happy finale."

Ten years later, however, audiences discovered the “Director’s Cut,” introducing everyone to an entirely different film, one that matched the story’s scope and Ridley Scott’s vision. The updated version wasn’t the result of contrite studio execs, though, but the dogged efforts of a handful of L.A. film buffs, including filmmaker Bruce Wright, who this week detailed the grassroots campaign advocating for the full movie’s release.

According to Wright, one day he and a handful of diehard original Blade Runner fans accidentally (no, seriously) found themselves watching a 70mm print of the Director’s Cut on a Sunday morning matinee. Wright’s recollection is pretty incredible stuff, detailing the reactions of a surprised audience of around 25 people who collectively realized they were seeing something very, very special.

Wright eventually wrote of the experience in the Los Angeles Times, and then helped mount a dedicated letter-writing campaign to Warner Bros. asking for a wider release of this new cut. The studio acquiesced, and the rest is history. Or dystopian future? Retro-future? Anyway, you can read Wright’s full thread here."

L A Times story on release of DIrector's Cut of BladeRunner

Billed as an "orchestral adaptation of music composed for the motion picture by Vangelis," the first official release consisted of jazz-inspired, orchestrated renditions of the major tracks from the film,
but not the original score tracks. Which completely sucked when you were wanting the Vangelis electronic score.

Fastforward to 2013 for the real thing on vinyl:

"Most of the music contained in this album originates from recordings I made in London in 1982, whilst working on the score for the film Blade Runner. Finding myself unable to release these recordings at the time,
it is with great pleasure that I am able to do so now. Some of the pieces contained will be known to you from the Original Soundtrack of the film (cd and vinyl), whilst others are appearing here for the first time (cd version).
Looking back at Ridley Scott's powerful and evocative pictures left me as stimulated as before, and made the recompiling of this music, today, an enjoyable experience." -Vangelis

In the seventies, Public Television used to have some cool stuff on late at night. Monty Python's Flying Circus, and reruns of the 1967-68 British series The Prisoner with Patrick McGoohan as "No.6".
Way ahead of its time, it blew my little mind. The soundtrack is probably for hard-core fans only though. The band seen in the series is the sound of music used as one of the tools by his captors for imposing innocuous normalcy,
which played well against the bizarre situation No. 6 found himself in. The rest of it is mission impossible type music late 60's style.
Regardless, a fun album cover complete with prison bars that open to finally let him escape. sort of. There are lots of inserts, lacking in my copy, including a 24 page "the making of" booklet and a map of the village.

Last edited by shedshrine on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:08 pm

Just got Clockwork Angels and Vapor Trails Remixed to add to these old friends..
Snakes and Arrows is excellent too, but going for around $200. Think I'll wait for a re-issue..

but of course I have 2112, ..somewhere..

I predominantly buy used lps. Keeps the cost reasonable and the hobby fun.
But when key new stuff or older key stuff comes out remastered (not squashed)
well?
I have a soft spot for Rush. Memories from my first concert, San Francisco Cow Palace. Farewell to Kings tour I think. ( I saw them on the Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures tours as well..) I am a young teen waiting in line with a couple friends and this weird stringy haired guy is walking along the line (which is winding around the building) whispering "speed..shrooms.. 'cid?" . Being from the quiet suburbs across the bridge this freaked me right out. We get inside, nosebleed seats, the lights go out, and immediately the entire auditorium is full of ragweed smoke and loud indistinct sound from the famously horrid acoustics of that venue back then. Though we could all hear well enough to join in the communal air drumming of that long descending tom run mid 2112.

I remember Neil Peart throwing a stick way up in the air at some point, missing the catch and watching the stick bounce away across the stage, yet he miraculously continued on with two sticks. Wow! The 'singer bass guy Geddy Lee' is singing and playing bass, ..and playing some board of long pedal things that put out bass sounds with his feet and also doing some keyboards for long stretches. Wow. These guys rule.

On later albums, when the synths came in hard and heavy, I dug Signals,and picked up Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure, then kind of lost track of them for the longest time.

I suppose I had kind of written them off but then I heard a couple tracks of Snakes and Arrows and I started getting into them again and working my way back through their catalog.
They are currently in the middle of reissuing everything,*"Direct Metal" remastered and on 200 frigging gram vinyl.
I will undoubtedly pick up a few of these. They do include flac or hi res MP4 downloads as well.

*Direct Metal Mastering (DMM) is an analogue audio disc mastering technique. Unlike conventional disc mastering, where the mechanical audio modulation is cut onto a lacquer-coated aluminum disc, DMM cuts straight into metal (copper).
Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:34 pm

Article: vinyl state of the nation

Punks in Bristol 1980

Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:30 pm

July 1981 What HI-FI? article announcing some kind of coming laser audio right around the corner.

Early Bluetooth system

Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:36 pm

Great article ("Vinyl State...") shred. I finally got to read it a week ago, at which time I started to post a fairly detailed/well-reasoned analysis and response (which of course disappeared into the cyber-ether as I typed furiously on my phone). So, back at the computer now, I'll simply summarize by saying "I didn't agree with some of what was said, but I still found it very interesting." So thanks again.

Recent acquisitions on various digging expeditions-- The Charles Ford Band (1972 on Arhoolie with a young 20-year old Robben Ford), Peter Tosh's "Mystic Man," a French pressing of a GNP LP by Frank Morgan with Machito's rhythm section, a 3-song EP on 45 rpm by Buddy Rich, and a 33 version of Miles' "Complete Birth of The Cool" sessions. I also grabbed a 3-CD set of the complete Charley Patton recordings on Paramount (released in a package called "The Definitive Charley Patton").

Today I picked-up a handful of non-vinyl discs (CD's) for $1.99 each at Record Theater. Padded the DJ kit with some Elvis and Stevie Ray Vaughn "greatest hits" discs, plus Clapton and B.B.'s "Riding with the King." But I copped Count Basie and Joe Williams' "Swings & Sings" and Johnny Griffin's "The Congregation" just for me (the Johnny Griffin has a little different cover design from the average Blue Note-- a neat little Andy Warhol "doodle art" piece).

I've still got it pretty bad!

Most of the vinyl I bought came from a shop up in Toronto called "Ric's Recollections." It is worth noting that this guy's stuff is CLEAN, I mean really well-maintained and dare I say, Pristine (?)... (from the brief scan I made of the store, and for sure all of the purchases that I took home). If you're in the area, or near enough to make a trip, it might be well worth it to stop in and see what he's got "live." He does have a website, and he will deal long distance (but no eBay/PayPal). If you get a chance, check out www.ricrec.com .

GJ
Gregg Juke

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:01 pm

The lady and I listened to all twelve sides of the Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz as we were painting today. I've listened to it all before, but never end to end. Recommended. Also, the Readers Digest compilation, the Swing Years is much better than it has any right to be. That was yesterday as we were masking and doing other household chores.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:51 pm

I have that collection on cassette (!); I picked it up a couple of summers ago on a northeast jaunt... I haven't listened to it in awhile, and that is the second "recommendation" to re-listen I've heard in the last few days. I'd better do a little alcohol rub on the old heads...

GJ
Gregg Juke

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:05 pm

This is for you Gregg "I've got several thousand cassettes" Juke..

Cassette Revolution: Why 1980s Tape Tech Is Still Making Noise in Our Digital World

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:04 am

So, you are more than a gentleman and a scholar, sir.

I just realized that I have been misreading your screen name for several years now (!)-- "shredshrine" instead of shedshrine-- but you have been too polite to correct me! It's amazing what the mind can convince us of, once we have accepted something as a truity...

GJ
Gregg Juke